Wednesday 3 September 2014

Lock in - John Scalzi

Fifteen years from now, a new virus sweeps the globe. 95% of those afflicted experience nothing

1% doesn't seem like a lot. But in the US that's 1.7 million people 'locked in' - including the President's wife and daughter.

Spurred by grief and the sheer magnitude of the suffering, America undertakes a massive scientific initiative. Nothing can fully restore the locked in. But then two new technologies emerge. One is a virtual-reality environment, 'The Agora', where the locked-in can interact with other humans, whether locked-in or not. The other is the discovery that a few rare individuals have brains that are receptive to being controlled by others, allowing those who are locked in to occasionally 'ride' these people and use their bodies as if they were their own.

This skill is quickly regulated, licensed, bonded, and controlled. Nothing can go wrong. Certainly nobody would be tempted to misuse it, for murder, for political power, or worse...
worse than fever and headaches. 4% suffer acute meningitis, creating the largest medical crisis in history. And 1% find themselves 'locked in' - fully awake and aware, but unable to move or respond to stimulus.
 
My thoughts:
A plague of any kind is always a good start. Here people get the flu, some do not get sick at all, some get meningitis and some, some get it bad. Lock in, trapped in their body, but knowing what's happening. And no cure around. But there are always companies willing to make a profit. Because many many years later there is still no cure. Just a better life for those locked in.

I was a bit confused at first. Why when he is lying in a bed and can't move is he moving around and is a Fed? Oh, he is a robot. I wish I had known that from the start. There is also this virtual world where the lock in can move around in.

Our main characters are Chris, who is a Haden. That is he is a Lock in. He moves around with a robot while his body is somewhere else. And then there is agent Vann his new partner. During his first day he will experience a lot and the whole book takes place in just a week. A crime mystery. Strange things happening.

A murder has to be solved and this leads to more questions. And it all has to do with Hadens and those who can play host to a Haden. More murders, more questions and a Haden community in uproar as a new law is being passed.

After my initial confusion I was ok, and I wanted to know who the killer was, why the killer did anything, hell, why anything happened at all. It's a nice story he has spun here. It's an interesting world, and I for once would love to see it on the screen too. It's the whole robot thing you know.

Conclusion:
A future that does not seem to far away.
Cover
Works in a way

Paperback, 336 pages
Published August 28th 2014 by Gollancz (first published August 14th 2014)
Lock In #1
Science fiction / Fiction
For Review

39 comments:

  1. I'm not crazy about dystopia but this does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm. IDK. I'm not a huge dystopia fan, but this sounds rather okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any book that starts with a plague usually ends up being great. That's my experience anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the one that had a prequel novella that explained things. I'm not sure and could be thinking of something completely different. Still, I do want to try this one on audio. Glad you liked this one overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to read the prequel novella but by the gods it was dull. So I let myself be confused instead

      Delete
  5. Yeah, this book can be confusing at first, it takes a while for everything to be explained. I loved this though, big fan of John Scalzi :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. So locked in means stuck in a robot body? Creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, locked in means you are just there, and can't do anything. But you can use a robot or "hitch" a ride with a human

      Delete
  7. Oh it's like that Bruce Willis movie SURROGATES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least those can go out themselves if they want :/

      Delete
  8. Hmm, probably not for me. Cool cover though - I guess the red ones are the locked ins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uuuuugh, weird. o.O Being in the body of a robot?? No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also use another human and be in their body

      Delete
  10. I agree with you, this sound like a perfect movie... but not a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh it sounds like an awesome movie, with Will Smith preferably. As a book, it looks interesting enough if a bit convoluted. As reality, though, makes me feel like I'd choke or suffocate or something along the lines. Great review XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many did became depressed and just died. I would surely have gone that way. trapped in my body without any real way of doing anything...scary

      Delete
  12. Hmmm, the confusing beginning might not work for me, but glad to hear you enjoyed once you were over that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a prequel novella, I did not finish it

      Delete
  13. I have a copy of this and can't wait to start it. I think I'm going to be slightly confused, but definitely interested enough to power through the confusion. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aside from the confusing start, it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds nice and original, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard great things about this one but I still wonder if it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, I think it will be better on the screen :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This little germ-o-phobe loves plague/contagion books ... weird I know. Sounds great, it's going on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love crazy strange possible futures. Definitely a book for me!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP