Tuesday 9 September 2014

The Mysteries - Lisa Tuttle

A blend of mystery, thriller and fantasy that will leave you looking over your shoulder.

Laura Lensky’s daughter, Peri, has been missing for two years. For the police it’s a closed case – she wanted to run away – but for her mother and boyfriend, Henry, it’s a different story. When Laura hires private investigator Ian Kennedy, it is a last-ditch attempt to find her daughter before she leaves for America. Drawn in by strange parallels to an obscure Celtic myth and his first, almost unexplainable case, Ian takes the job. But his beliefs are about to be stretched to their limit – there are darker and more devious forces at work here than any of them imagined.

My thoughts:
Is it a detective novel? No. A thriller? No. Mystery? No. Fairytale? No. Fantasy? No. The truth is it's all of those things. Its seductive charm pulling me in, and not letting me go. Making me wonder, believe and disbelief. 

It's the story of Ian Kennedy, an American working in London as a PI. His new case is about a girl gone missing 2 years ago. Why did Peri go missing? She wasn't happy? Was it foul play? But then why did she call 6 months later? The more he investigates, the stranger it gets. And he is not new to strange. He had another case years ago that made him interested in things most people believe to be fairytales.

Scattered though out the book are small stories about people, I guess real stories? About people gone missing. People taken by the Fae. Yes  hello, I call myself Blodeuedd online, of course I love Celtic mythology. So stories about the Tuatha de Dannan brings out my attention. Makes me wonder about every hill and what kind of fairies might be sleeping there.

But this is a mystery after all. He gets closer and closer to the answer. Will he find Peri, or can she not be found? Is she dead? Murdered long ago? I kept reading and hoping. And then the end, aww yes I want to read more of her books. She has a lovely style of writing.

Conclusion:
Now who to recommend it to? Honestly everyone. If you like fantasy, yes. Fairytales, yes. Mysteries and detective novels, yes. Just normal fiction, yes. So, go read it.

Cover
works for this

Hardcover, 464 pages
Published September 4th 2014 by Jo Fletcher Books (first published January 1st 2005)
Fiction / fantasy /mystery
From the publisher for an honest review

40 comments:

  1. Okay, I think I may need this one. Mystery, fantasy and myth - I don't think I can pass it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, fae scare me to death, but I am completely fascinated by Celtic mythology as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when while reading I learned that they love green, I wear green a lot, and then they take you away

      Delete
  3. Wow. This sounds like a unique and interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is new for me but sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I love mythologies as well. That and the mystery totally sold me. Will check out this author!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I kind of do like fantasy books and fairy tales are fun as well! .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cover is ah-mazing, and the book sounds pretty awesome too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have completely skipped this one from the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fits it, but then you have to read it to see that it does fit. Else..walking by

      Delete
  9. Oh gosh I grew up listening to my dad tell changeling stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this sounds great. I've always wanted to read some Lisa Tuttle. Now I regret not taking it for review :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, okay, this sounds very vague as genre. It's like it includes a bit of everything from how you describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't put it down as one genre, cos it is not. I guess you should say fantasy then, but..it's not

      Delete
  12. Is it a detective novel? No. A thriller? No. Mystery? No. Fairytale? No. Fantasy? No. The truth is it's all of those things.

    I am sold, honestly. If I can find it I will read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo I love the blending of genres, this sounds quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huh. Not a cover that would lure me in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mystery and seductive charm? Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cover of this book and the story sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a magic read... I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love fantasy, fairy tales, mystery and detective novels so SIGN ME UP! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a interesting read, yet the majority of its ratings are 3 stars. Hmm, on the maybe list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that. People complained about the strangest things

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP