Thursday 18 September 2014

#Diversiverse Review: Angelfall - Susan Ea

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

My thoughts:
Sigh, everyone else than I seems to have loved this book. Why it did not work for me? Oh you know me, I expected freaking amazeballs! Did I get that? Ha, no. It was the same old same old.

Girl who is so awesome and pretty when she puts an effort, meets OMG SEXY angel who is so freaking sexy that you will drool to that. Said angel does not like mousy girl, but then she puts on a sexy dress and he goes all wow! If you weren't a human I would totally do you!

So hot angel and awesome girls becomes unlikely allies as they go to the big bad angels to save her sister. And of course sexy angel is hunted by his own kind, and I guess his so called friends are too busy to find him.

There will be danger, thinking about hot Sexy angel is, and more danger. But fear no, awesome girl knows how to fight.

There is NO worldbuilding. Angels attacked..ok, and? Nothing. But fear not, Not even Sexy Angel knows. Yeah but I want to know! The world needs building and explaining. 

Like, why do the angels attack Sexy angel and speak English while doing so?
Sure angels are awesome, but they can still die. How did the world fall apart? Oh wait, right worldbuilding, there is none, duh.

It had interesting parts, but sorry, this girl needs answers and not a book about a girl seeing a Sexy angel and blah blah blah.

Conclusion:
fail

Cover
Meh

Kindle Edition, 283 pages
Published May 21st 2011 by Feral Dream
YA /Dystopia
Own


Check out Booklust who hosts the A more diverse universe challenge. There you will also learn more what this is about,


47 comments:

  1. Bahahaha! I started this one months ago and set it aside because it wasn't wowing me. I expected AWESOME too and it was just meh from what I read.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOhoo, I am not alone! It was so omg, for real? *headdesk*

      Delete
  2. Sorry this one didn't work for you! It's always hard for a book to live up to as much hype as this one got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo to no worldbuilding! And I hate when I'm the black sheep about a book. Oh, well. Always more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many more :)
      And it was a freebie, so at least that did not make me angry

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I've been curious about this one because of the great reviews but I don't know if I'll like it if it has no worldbuilding. NO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't read this one and I bought a copy when it was all the rage. Perhaps it is falling victim to the case that it was amazing then but now days not so much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not think of it that way, but that does make a lot of sense

      Delete
  6. oh dear. I bought this because everyone was raving about it but now I wonder... I'll get around reading it someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then again, I was not in the majority here ;)

      Delete
  7. Sorry that the world building was nonexistant for you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry this didn't work for you! I enjoyed this, it kept my attention unlike a lot of YA, especially when it comes to YA with angels.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that aspect it was better cos some of the YA angel books out there, baaad

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry you didn't like this one. Oh well, the next one will be better I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry that this one didn't work out for you. To be honest, this is one of my all-time favorite books. :D And that's saying a lot because I don't really like reading Angel books. Angels are fascinating but the stories made about them were quite disappointing. Hush, Hush, TMI, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. They were all meh. T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOl, I actually liked Daughter of Smoke, I found it refreshing. But I am sure I am gonna end up hating book 2, I usually do with these kind of books

      Delete
  11. Haha I remember feeling the same way after reading this... it was rather "meh" as you put it. I thought of continuing the series but I have more exciting books on my pile. Will you be reading the next books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, like you said, I have other books to read. And this was a freebie. It was NOT good enough for me to buy book 2, so I will let it drift out of memory

      Delete
  12. Sorry it did not work for you :/ though I'm still excited to read it XD nothing will change that ahha

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yes it's sad. I also heard great things about this one and at the end I was curious but well maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dislike of angel books is no secret, and the fact that there's 0 world-building is enough to turn me off from this one. Thanks for doing the dirty work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angels, there is *thinks* 1 book where they work for me, everything else, bleh

      Delete
  15. I listened to the audiobook and really enjoyed. I don't know if it was because of the good narration or what. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. psst..I have had this forever on my nook and it never speaks to me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry this one didn't live up to the hype for you - that can always be a double edged sword. On the plus side, that's another series you can prune from your TBR pile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really excited for this one, but haven't read anything about angels yet. Hopefully that means that I'll like it more?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww, what a bummer! BUT amazing that you found an SFF book for diversiverse, right?! :-) That's a win considering that you have never really been able to find one before, so I feel like that is progress made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least that :D And I am glad I found that GR list, that was SO much easier. Just browsed through it, found a book I had and bingo. Too bad it was so not for me

      Delete
  20. *snickers* You had too many expectations, Linda! We all read this when it was still unknown and there was no such popular angel trend, so this book was awesome. You are too jaded by now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I should have read it when it was fresh and new, not when one million angel books followed

      Delete
  21. Smh and it seemed so promising. :/

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP