Saturday 13 September 2014

The Obsidian Empire by Mark T Barnes and Book Blog Walkers: Weekly Check-in Sept 12 2014

This challenge is organized by Felicia over at the Geeky Blogger's Book Blog

Saturday I can't remember, can have been only 30 min cos I had the flu
Sunday 5 km bike and 30 min walk
Monday 5 km bike and 40 min walk
Tuesday 5 km bike, and 15 min walk (12 hour workday  :( )
Wednesday 5 km bike, and 1 hour zumba class
Thursday 5 km bike, and 30 min walk
Friday 10 km bike and 1 hour yoga class

Should be from Saturday

..........................................

Warrior-mage Indris grows weary in his failed attempts to thwart the political machinations of Corajidin, and faces the possibility of imprisonment upon his return to his homeland. Moreover, Indris’s desire for Corajidin’s daughter, Mari, is strong. Can he choose between his duty and his desire…and at what cost?

Left alienated from her House, Mari is torn between the opposing forces of her family and her country—especially now that she’s been offered the position of Knight-Colonel of the Feyassin, the elite royal guards whose legacy reaches back to the days of the Awakened Empire. As the tensions rise, she must decide if her future is with Indris, with her family, or in a direction not yet foreseen.

As he awaits trial for his crimes, Corajidin confronts the good and evil within himself. Does he seek redemption for his cruel deeds, or does he indebt himself further to the enigmatic forces that have promised him success, and granted him a reprieve from death? What is more important: his ambition, regaining the love stolen from him, or his soul?

My thoughts:
I am a bit torn when it comes to this review. I struggled with the book, it did not keep my attention. For that it was only ok. BUT the world building is just so rich. Mythology, politics, culture, fighting, everything is just so interesting. I do love the world. The story stagnated though.

Idris is still being good. Mari is still thinking her dad is bad, but not doing anything about it. Corajidin is still being bad and wanting to take over everything. The leaders are still being idiots and should have Corajidin executed, but money can buy anything and everyone.

Ok lots happened, and nothing happened. People talked, thought about things, went back and forth. Accused each other of things they had not done. Fought. And then witches came. The end.

Something was missing, something that made me enthralled with book 1 (even if if it took two turns to finish it). But here I never became that enthralled, frankly I felt disappointed.

Conclusion:
So the book was ok, the world was good. The world saves the rating, deserving? Maybe not. As it did not make me want to read more. A rating of the heart, not the mind.

Edit:
1 day later. I changed my mind. Yes the world was good, but the mindless reading I did, no. Have to rate it just ok.

Cover
good

Paperback, 438 pages
Published October 15th 2013 by 47North
Echoes of Empire #2
Fantasy
Library

22 comments:

  1. Oh you had the flu? So early? I hope you feel better now! *hug* And I hate fantasy without a meaningful plot or characters, just the world build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When kids sneeze in your face all day you get sick, it was nothing big. Just a small one, that will with my luck become something bad

      Delete
  2. Hope you're feeling better. I like those photos.
    Nice conclusion and then edit...sorry this one disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that morning mist in your pictures? Very pretty.

    Too bad about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A rating of the heart not the mind... yeah those are bummers. And I am scared of morning fog when biking! Still where you live is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening ;) There is of course morning mist too, but I am not up that early

      Delete
  5. That plot seems to have gone so round and round. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the first book on my to-read list. I've heard a lot of good things about the latest in the series.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good, but this one, meh, it did not make me want more

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I'm not sure it's for me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have all 3 books on my kindle. I might read it. Someday. In a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The world is important but so is others

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saturday picks are absolutely gorgeous, Linda! Wow... Well done on getting out even with the flu!

    ReplyDelete
  11. bummer flu ... favourite photos though, very haunting with the fog. Just beautiful! Oh and good job, nearly forgot about the exercise haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well the fog was more awesome than the exercise ;) I do taking pics

      Delete
  12. Your pictures are incredible! Atmospheric, haunting, eerie, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP