Tuesday 23 September 2014

The Rithmatist - Brandon Sanderson

More than anything, Joel wants to be a Rithmatist. Chosen by the Master in a mysterious inception ceremony, Rithmatists have the power to infuse life into two-dimensional figures known as Chalklings. Rithmatists are humanity’s only defense against the Wild Chalklings—merciless creatures that leave mangled corpses in their wake. Having nearly overrun the territory of Nebrask, the Wild Chalklings now threaten all of the American Isles. 

As the son of a lowly chalkmaker at Armedius Academy, Joel can only watch as Rithmatist students study the magical art that he would do anything to practice. Then students start disappearing - kidnapped from their rooms at night, leaving trails of blood. Assigned to help the professor who is investigating the crimes, Joel and his friend Melody find themselves on the trail of an unexpected discovery—one that will change Rithmatics - and their world - forever.

My thoughts:
How to explain this one...*thinks some more about it*. Honestly just read it. Sanderson is masterful when it comes to magic systems, they are always new, cool and takes a while to explain.

This is alternate history where some empires, fell and other empires rose. The world is very different. Steampunk too, and magic. A rithmatist can draw lines to protect himself and create chalklings (from chalk ;). There is also wild ones out there and that is part of the plot. What is really going on?

Our hero Joel would love to become a Rithmatist but he can't, they are chosen at 8 and he was not chosen. He knows everything about it though. A clever kid, with his head in the clouds a bit. He doesn't have any real friends either as most other kids are rich, and he is not. But you will see.

The plot is that someone is killing Rithmatist kids, but who and why?

Conclusion:
A solid book that kept getting better and better. I can't wait to read more adventures with him to to explore this world even more. All in all, Sanderson is awesome as always.

Cover
eh

Paperback, 372 pages
Published May 16th 2013 by Orion Childrens (first published May 13th 2013)
Rithmatist #1
YA / Fantasy/ Steampunk
Own

43 comments:

  1. Sanderson IS pretty brilliant (I've read Mistborn and Steelheart), and I can't wait to read this, too. It's been offered to me for review ages ago, and I know I have the audio somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read everything except Steelheart, which I got today

      Delete
  2. Woohoo, I'm excited because I have that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Steelheart that needs to be read. Must try this author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything by him yet but I've only heard good things.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book! I think between this one and Steelheart the latter is the more wider read of his recent YA, but I've got a soft spot for Rithmatist.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard so many great things about Sanderson! Apparently all his books are really good. I love this cover so much better than spacy Tor UK cover. What is up with that one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sanderson really is a fab writer, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like alternative histories but not much on YA really. Never got into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heard so many good things about Sanderson but never read one ... my bad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds very good B, adding it to my wishlist. Glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! Why I didn't know about this book/series? This sounds perfect for me and Sanderson!! Is there anything else to say? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As soon as I saw the name of the author I knew you would love the book ;p. I wonder why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to read more books by the author. I really loved the one I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of a Rithmatist before. That's a new one on me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Steampunk and magic so I'm in! I just hope.our library have this book

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree about the cover. Eh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds good - maybe one my daughter would enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Sanderson and have a copy of this one - why haven't I started it yet!? Definitely remedying that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. While I enjoyed this one I definitely thought it was more of a middle grader book instead of a young adult one. I'm looking forward to the next as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but those killings on the other hand

      Delete
  20. I haven't yet read a book by Sanderson I haven't loved. Really looking forward to start this one.... right after I've finished The Alloy of Law (also awesome so far, IMO!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that one :) Now, I have read everything by him :D

      Delete
  21. Yeah I liked this one too! I think it's one of my favourite YA books purely because of the awesome magic system.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP