Wednesday 10 June 2015

Tainted Blood - M.L.Brennan

Former film student Fortitude Scott is finally gainfully employed. Unfortunately, said employment happens to be with a group of sociopathic vampires—his family. And as much as Fort is loath to get too deep into the family business, when his brother, Chivalry, is temporarily unable to run the territory, it’s up to Fort to keep things under control.

So when the leader of a powerful faction of shifters turns up murdered, Fort finds himself tracking down a killer while navigating dangerous rivalries, longtime grudges, and hidden agendas. Even with the help of his foxy kitsune sidekick, Suzume, he’ll need to pull out all the stops to hunt for the paranormal assassin.

But as he calls on fairies, witches, and ghouls for help, he discovers that the problem is much bigger than a single dead werebear. The supernatural community is preparing for a massive shift in power within the Scott family leadership—and Fort has landed right in the middle of the gathering storm.… 

My thoughts:
It was good...and that is the problem. It was good, while previous books were awesome. I enjoyed it, but it did not grab me as book 1 and 2 did. So while I liked it, it did make me fear for book 4. If book 4 is also good, well sometimes that is a dealbreaker for me. I need an awesome thrown in here and there. Sometimes good is all I need, while other times not. Do not ask me how. I have no idea. I can read an entire series where all the books are "only" good, but not awesome. And then I can read a series and go all eh after one is just good...

Moving on.

So beta Fort grew in book 2. But here, hello! You are a vampire. You know that shit already. And now he was all, I will have to kill peeps? Well not really. I have to drink blood? Get over it you vegetarian idiot. I did feel that weakness that I liked in book 1 and 2 was a bit too much here. Being kind is good, just, being too kind can be too much.

I read the book fast, it was one of those, read in a day kind of books. I liked that there were Finnish bears. I liked this quote about Finns holding grudges (have held one for 15 years, not forgiving that ahole). Suze was fun and weird. His family was bloodthirsty, I really like Prudence now, she is a sociopath.

Conclusion:
And now some will think I did not like the book. It was GOOD! I just expected awesome and exceptions sucks ass. I will read the next and hope for more, I will read the one after that but hopefully it will be back on track by then. When you expect awesome you can not settle for less. 

Cover
That is not really him

Mass Market Paperback, 306 pages
Published November 4th 2014 by Roc
Generation V #3
Urban fantasy
Own

38 comments:

  1. I have the same problem, it the series is always ok I might read more books that from the series that started great and then was only good later... We are weird like that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes good is good enough, but when you've had a taste of awesome, it's hard to fall back on "just" good. Awesome has a tendancy tot keep your hopes high ! That's why I have trouble adding series to my gigarnormous to-read list, there's a lot of "good" in there, but not enough "awesome" to really stand out... Well, I hope book 4 will be fantabulous !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome can be bad, it's better if it starts good, and then get awesome. But when it is awesome and then goes good, not as good.

      I sure hope so

      Delete
  3. I have book one and while I love that the rest of the books are awesome, the fact that this was meh, makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry this one wasn't quite as strong as the previous two, hopefully book 4 will be back on that level:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, that's always the issue with beloved series! I agree, book 2 was the best and my favorite so far, but I thought 3 was pretty awesome too. Book 4 sounds like it's going to be explosive though, so I am expecting great things and I know M.L Brennan will deliver!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope book 4 will be awesome
      *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  6. You are really not going to forgive that ahole after fifteen years? He must have done something BAD>

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is up with these series and their spotty installments?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally understand what you mean - sometimes good is working, but I need something more extraordinary to keep me excited about the series. I hope book 4 is back to amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see how sometimes that certain genres need awesome and others just need "okay" to continue. Glad you still enjoyed this one even though some of it sucked @ss! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I can always use a new UF series. I'll have to check these out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they will get back on track so yes

      Delete
  11. I liked this one as well, especially Suze! Let's hope next one will live to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully it was just a filler book and the series will pick back up for you.

    Sometimes a meh book can be worse than outright hating it.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I hate covers that don't look like the character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for Finnish bears! :) Pity that the book did not live up to your expectations, though I have to admit that the premise is all kinds of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The premise was awesome :D Just not a awesome as the previous one ;)

      Delete
  15. Well there is that one book in a series that just feels as it falls short. Hope the next one is better. And I still need to start the series. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tsk tsk. What did I tell you about that expectation? Such a book killer, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cover may not be him... but I am in love with him, I mean it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the cover even if it's not him. lol

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP