Friday 12 June 2015

Uprooted - Naomi Novik

“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.

Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.

The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose. 

My thoughts:
I did like this whole fairy-tale fantasy vibe. That was nicely done, but I also felt like the book could have done with more books. Let me explain.

This is a stand alone. Through out the entire book we hear about the Big bad, and then at the end, well since it ends happily duh. That was too fast. Too easy.

Agnieszka was a nice young woman, but she had Mary Sue tendencies. The only thing not in her favour was that she was not uber pretty but whatever. No, she was awesome at something, something only she could do, and best in the world. She comes along and is all, I can do this, and does it, while others could not. And after a short time. I need more growth, now she was just Mary Sueish.

So I wished more growth for her, and more story. Because I wanted more tension, danger, death and destruction. The whole plot was so awesome and then near the end I was all cool! And then, the end!, done...eh? Too fast! You do not have to drag it out for ages, but a bit more. Now it ended too easily with Super Agni.

What I then liked what the mythology behind certain things, and I wanted more. The story was nice and exciting at times. And I enjoyed it a lot. But like I have said, I did want even more. For me it could have been even better. I also think what did it was this whole is it adult or YA? It is adult in my eyes, just light pretty fairytale adult. It would have worked better with some true darkness. 

Conclusion:
Still...very cool story.

Cover
nice

Hardcover, 438 pages
Published May 19th 2015 by Del Rey
Fantasy
Own

49 comments:

  1. Initially, I had no interest in this, thinking it would be too fairy tale and YA, but the reviews have caught my interest. I may have to give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same, and then people said it was not YA (and then some said it was) and I just, I will try it

      Delete
  2. Maybe the author will hear you and the other readers and decide to give it a sequel (it worked for one I read last year ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, like it ended now, I do not want a sequel. It's done

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you "kind" of liked it. I loved this book and I agree with you, I wanted more, I wanted this to be a series... but who knows, maybe Novik is planning to write more books and we don't know... *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I did like it :) I just, I could see more.

      I do not actually want more books, I would have wanted more books if it had not ended like it did. Now that big part is done, I wanted more about that. I wanted more Wood

      Delete
  4. I've been seeing this one everywhere lately, I'm thinking it might be a book for me:) Thanks for the heads-up on the somewhat rushed ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it was too fast, I had heard so much and then boom, end..eh?

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the mythology could have reached better potential but good to hear it was still a cool story

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book! I really hope that the author is going to write a sequel. Maybe we should start a petition or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It isn't often you see people wishing for more books with a stand alone, but hey I get where you are coming from. I have good things about this one, and I have it on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you will like ti when you read it

      Delete
  8. I loved this and I was so glad it was a standalone! I am thrilled to have an END and not have to wait out another book. I see your point that it was "light" adult though really - but for sure not YA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do not get everyone telling it was YA..just cos she was young did not mean it was YA

      Delete
  9. Stand alone fantasy book? Wow ;) This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm... It sounds pretty good, even with the issues. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay you liked this one so I NEED to read it. I've been seeing so many good reviews of this one. Too bad the ending was fast but nothing is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously. so much love for this book! I haven't read it, but I'm sold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I hate the too-speedy, too-tidy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HUH interesting. I will think on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you ever think you would suggest a book be spread out over more books..lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. too bad for the fast end but it sounds like a good book, I heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read and liked the Tememraire series. I might try this one as well, especially as it features Polish names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) Baba Yaga is there too, but she is Russian, or can she be Polish too?

      Delete
  18. I really liked this one. I have a big crush on the Dragon now :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked this one but I can definitely see how it's not for everyone. Sorry to see this didn't completely work for you but great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I was waiting on a review for this one and now I'm torn about buying it... Hm... I guess I'll think about it. Dang, and it sounded so awesome...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...well, most people really love it. I, oh you know me ;) Read a few more reviews and see, and some neg ones

      Delete
  21. I'm actually glad to read one review of Uprootted that's not all stars and glove and love... My expectations were getting too high.
    I'll read it since I love fairy tales and cover is so pretty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to take them down a bit ;)

      But I still do recommend it

      Delete
  22. Everyone is going insane for this novel, and I appreciate that someone has a much more subtle approach to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yep, not sure it's right for YA readers. You know I loved it more than you, but on one thing we agree: it should NOT be a standalone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should totally have been more :)

      The whole YA spin is weird, just cos someone is young does not YA make

      Delete
  24. It does sound good. But I can see where it would do to have more than one book. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP