Tuesday 20 December 2016

Always in my heart - Freda Lightfoot

Life has been difficult for her over the war, having been held in an internment camp in France simply because of her nationality. Thankful that her son at least was safe in the care of his grandmother, she now finds that she has lost him too, and her life is in turmoil.

Prue, her beloved sister-in-law, is also a war widow but has now fallen in love with an Italian PoW who works on the family estate. Once the war ends they hope to marry but she has reckoned without the disapproval of her family, or the nation.
The two friends support each other in an attempt to resolve their problems and rebuild their lives. They even try starting a business, but it does not prove easy.

My thoughts:
The book jumps a bit in time. The war is over and Brenda returns to her husband's home. Oh but everyone there are so mean, arghh, I wanted to hit them, well especially the evil sister in law. She was, ugh, trust me. She was bad!!!! No one believes she was married. And she has lost her child. And here begin the flashbacks, how she met Jack, their time in France, the start of the war, how she was sent to a german prison camp, and how she searched for her son.

And while those flashbacks continue we get to see her trying to build a new life for herself. 

But the book is not only hers, her sister in law Prue (the good sister, not the evil one) is in love with someone she should not love, and she has her own struggles.

The book does deal with some heavy things, but at the same time because of how it is written it never feels dark or anything. It's like there is always hope and light at the end of the tunnel. And there will be happiness, at the very end.

It was a short, sort of light (with touches of dark). There is romance, hope, war, and one evil woman. 


Paperback, 384 pages
Published December 15th 2016 by HQ (first published February 25th 2016)
Historical fiction
For review


20 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds good! I like the deeper stories that don't feel too dark, so I will have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make it easier reading when the dark things are not too dark

      Delete
  2. This sounds good. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is interesting. Is this a series? And where is her husband? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not gonna spoil it ;)
      And nope, only one book

      Delete
  4. This sounds like it has a lot of hard subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One book, I see from your comment above, sounded like a series. Oh well a read that is doable then. I think I'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, it does have a series feeling, bit nope, all is resolved

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of this one so thanks for putting it on my radar! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And one evil woman! lol Every hero needs a villain ;)

    Happy holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well sounds pretty interesting. Different looking cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evil sister in law. Love to hate her already. But I do like the sound of the story and the side story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Late to the party! I've been so lazy.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP