Thursday 1 December 2016

The Marrying Type - Laura Chapman

Always the wedding planner, never a bride, Elliot Lynch is famous for orchestrating the splashiest weddings in Charleston, South Carolina. When her father’s sloppy management practices leave them on the brink of bankruptcy, Elliot will do whatever it takes to save the family business. When asked to appear on “The Marrying Type,” a reality TV show about the people behind the scenes as couples exchange I dos, she says yes to the invasion of privacy (and the hefty paycheck that comes with it). 

With a camera crew capturing every detail of her life, Elliot faces her most challenging contract yet: planning a wedding where her ex is involved in every part of the process. Add in a lazy assistant, liquor-loving bridesmaid, and rival planner encroaching on her turf, and Elliot’s wedding season goes from high-end to high-stress. 

Forced to confront her past, Elliot must live out her troubled present on national TV if she has any hope of saving her future. 

My thoughts:
This was a modern adaptation of Persuasion, sure things are changed, but that young lovers who meet again theme is there.

Elliot is a wedding planner. Her father spends money. Her sister likes being lazy. Oh yes that same family dynamic from the book. I am glad we do not see much of them. But then they are not as bad as in the book, except for this one thing.... But this is Elliot books, and she is nice (too nice), hardworking (loves her job) and has no time for men.

In comes a reality shows about wedding planners. And a wedding to plan that includes the sister of the man she once loves. Eric was nice, I liked how they broke up in this one (if you can like those sort of things). It felt fitting for the time. But he always loved her, just like she always loved him. Stupid kids. And now he is rich as dirt.

The planning takes time, which was good as they slowly started talking again. Slowly could be in each other's presence. Slowly realised they should be together...after a few bumps in the road.

As for the narration, she did a great job. I enjoyed listening to her.

Conclusion:
Good book. Works great on audio, I'd say go for this way.

Narrated by: Emily Lawrence
Length: 8 hrs and 55 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:06-17-16
Contemporary romance /Persuasion variation
For a review

32 comments:

  1. Persuasion was one of my favorite Austen novels and I'mm always looking for retellings. This sounds lovely and I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a modern Persuasion! I hadn't heard of this one, but I'm adding it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds cute! I really need to read Persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous cover and while I'm not a huge Jane Austen fan I do love modern adaptations/retellings and I hope I'll be able to get the audio of this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read Persuasion, so I have nothing to compare it to, but sounds like a pretty good story. I'm glad you really enjoyed it.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do not have to know anything about P really

      Delete
  6. Oh yay sounds good and I'm always game for a good audio :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh you persuaded me to put it in my wish list at Audible. Sounds fun and if the narration is good it really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After listening to podcasts, I think I'm ready for fictional audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh i'm always game for a Persuasion retelling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd never heard of this. But I read your first sentence and was like, ah, now I know why you read it, Jane Austen-ite :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good, and I am happy to hear the audio was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seriously hate the cover. HATE it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not tried Lawrence before. I'll keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alas! I had a comment! Now, I do not remember what I said originally...mhmmm

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP