Thursday 12 January 2017

Smiler's fair - Rebecca Levene

Yron the moon god died, but now he's reborn in the false king's son. His human father wanted to kill him, but his mother sacrificed her life to save him. He'll return one day to claim his birthright. He'll change your life.

He'll change everything.

Smiler's Fair: the great moving carnival where any pleasure can be had, if you're willing to pay the price. They say all paths cross at Smiler's Fair. They say it'll change your life. For five people, Smiler's Fair will change everything.


In a land where unimaginable horror lurks in the shadows, where the very sun and moon are at war, five people - Nethmi, the orphaned daughter of a murdered nobleman, who in desperation commits an act that will haunt her forever. Dae Hyo, the skilled warrior, who discovers that a lifetime of bravery cannot make up for a single mistake. Eric, who follows his heart only to find that love exacts a terrible price. Marvan, the master swordsman, who takes more pleasure from killing than he should. And Krish, the humble goatherd, with a destiny he hardly understands and can never accept - will discover just how much Smiler's Fair changes everything. 

My thoughts:
I should have written this at once while I remembered names!
*looks at blurb*

No one was particularly hero like, more like a gang of antiheroes, and to be honest, villains.

Nethmi, is the one sent to marry some old guy. I mean I get it, but at the same time, come on girl, that is the way of a noblewoman.

Dae Hyo, keeps mourning his slaughtered people.

Eric, was the whore who kept wanting more.

Marvan, was this psycho guy who loved killing. Riiight, not someone to meet.

Krish, oh yes the lost prince who grew up a goatherder but not even he was the hero from the beginning. Even he fs up.

Which is strange, cos with all this seemingly dark characters one would think it would be a dark book, but it wasn't. It felt lighter than epic, not by much. We did not really get to see the world much, it was more about the characters running in different directions making bad decisions so that they one day can meet up, or not. I did learn about their religions since Krish is the Moon God born again. Or so they say.

Conclusion;
The book kept a nice pace, which meant it was always good, never ok, never awesome either. Good enough for me to want to see more because all things holy, what the f. Seriously deranged people some of them.

Cover
boring

Paperback, 404 pages
Published January 1st 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published July 31st 2014)
The Hollow Gods #1
Fantasy
Own

31 comments:

  1. I love antiheroes! Maybe I'll give this one a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah. This sounds like it would possibly be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like dark, damaged characters but here it seems there are too many of them. The blurb made me want to read this one but your review made me reconsider...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so do not like those grimdark ones, here it more felt like...they are human and idiots

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting :) I'm just like you, delayed writing a few reviews for a bit too long lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I actually really like the cover. And I like the sound of this one too, love the idea of a great moving carnival.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree about the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. too bad, sounds like it could have been better

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll wait to see what you think of the sequel but why not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will read one, soon...when I get it..one day

      Delete
  9. Lot of pages to read in this one, but obviously really not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a strange one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deranged... no problem. Anti-hero? YES! Even though this wasn't a love, since you still enjoyed it and want more... I may have to check this book out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was something in there that made me want more =)

      Delete
  12. Sometimes a good book about bad people is just what I'm in the mood for! This one sure seems to fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds unique and with a lot going for it, I'm glad it wasn't a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm anti-heroes. Sometimes good enough is still pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP