Thursday 7 December 2017

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart. 

My thoughts:
You know what, I did enjoy it at first. It was cheesy, simplistic and I could just relax my brain. But 2/3 in I just started to get annoyed. By all those things that did annoy me from the start too. Not even cheese can help you there.

First there was no world building. "But they mentioned other countries!" Oh, lol, you amuse me. Just cos you mention that there are other countries does not mean you built a world. I got nothing from this world. Except that they live in a country that fights others and it seems to be a sort of industrial world. So yes real shitty worldbuilding.

Then there is the whole Red and Silver that makes NO sense. First, for them to actually bleed differently shouldn't they be different species? Also did no silver ever hook up with a red. Not to mention did no silver ever rape a red since they are dirty peasants and all? I found that very hard to believe. I think there should be more bastards running around. But maybe they can not have children, being different species and all. Or wtf they are. It just made no sense. The whole red and silver thing.

And it so reminded me of that book....what was it called? There there were Red and Golds, and other colors too. Just that one had a MUCH better world building.

Oh and let us not even talk about the romance. LOL. Omg they meet and are in love? What? I felt nothing between them. And there were 2 other guys too. They have such a speshul connection.

Why are there always mean girls in YA? She had no reason to be mean. It just made her a petty bitch. Made no sense.

The end was such a mess. It made this a crappy book, before that I could roll with the silliness. If it is that easy to do the thinng done more would do it. *eyeroll* Worst simple ending ever.

I have not even started on our heroine. Never liked her. I did not understand why she was made fake silver since when that end come it made no sense at all. She had no purpose, she was not good at anything, she was not brave, she was pretty useless.

Damn this book went from good to I can not deal with this anymore fast!

Oh and if she series ends up with her as queen she will probably be the worst ever

Cover
Kind of cool

Hardcover, 383 pages
Published February 10th 2015 by HarperTeen
Red Queen #1
YA Fantasy
Library


32 comments:

  1. Oh wow mess is right. I saw this reviewed a few times when it first came out sorry it didn't do it for you Blodeuedd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this cover around (I really like the cover). I'm sure I've read reviews, but I can't remember right now. I'm really picky about YA, so with the issues you mentioned, I don't think this is for me. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggled with this one, and by the time book two came out, I didn't continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not for me, not for you, not for anybody... what a waste of paper, even electronic one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO not for you, but the review would be fun

      Delete
  5. You're not alone with your thoughts on this one. I was starting to think I was the only one who didn't like this book It started out as a fun YA read (nothing spectacular) but then seemed to go downhill fast for me. I don't even think I finished it. I threw in the towel at some point. Everyone seems to love this series but I couldn't get past the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So downhill! And yay, yes you are not alone :D I guess there are a few of us here

      Delete
  6. OMG... best review ever! The blurb had me and then you dashed my interest in your opening paragraph. But by "I think there should be more bastards running around." I was laughing out loud. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yay, I am glad I made you laugh. Hehe, that is why we need reviews sometime

      Delete
  7. I feel your frustration. I guess this one is a dud and should be avoided at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww I was intrigued by this one

    ReplyDelete
  9. So what you're saying is that you didn't like it...lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry this one didn't work for you. I have a signed copy sitting on my bookshelves...unread. I don't think I will rush to get it read anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, signed and all. But who knows, I might light and cheesy

      Delete
  11. I thought this book was okay, but nothing special considering all the YA out there! I wasn't planning on reading the next one either.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see the happy conclusion, I bet it is really cheesy

      Delete
  12. Fascinating, I've seen this book around and wondered about it. Hmm think I will stop wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really good review. The cover really draws me in but your review turns off my intrest. It is not something that peaks my intrest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, well it sure was not worth the read so

      Delete
  14. Haha great review! This one's been sitting on my shelf and now I think it'll sit there some more. (oh and the book you couldn't think of was Red Rising. 😉)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Im glad I've avoided it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, we would have had SO MUCH TO TALK ABOUT

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP