Sunday 9 April 2017

Carole's Sunday Review: White Lies - Susan Barrett

Author: Susan Barrett
Title: White Lies
Genre: Fiction
Pages: ebook
Published: Aug 2016
Where I Got It: My Shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher)

Beth is a guest at a wedding. The bride is Tess, her natural daughter, who'd been adopted as a baby. During the moments leading up to the marriage ceremony, Beth remembers the lifetime events that have led to her present state of sick fear. Recent revelations have made her suspect that the bridegroom is the first child she'd given up for adoption, and therefore Tess's half-brother. Will she speak of this impediment to matrimony, as invited by the priest, or forever hold her peace? 


Holy cannoli batman! This was certainly a ball of secrets, twists, and drama. I liked it.



This story follows three women: Beth, Liz, and Tess. Beth was a young girl who was forced to give two babies up for adoption. Tess is one of those babies. Liz is the adoptive mom of Tess. Beth reconnected with Tess. However, Tess gets engaged to a guy named Michael who was put up for adoption at the same time as Beth's first baby. Not only is the timeline spooky, but Michael looks a LOT like Beth's baby daddy. Could it all be a coincidence? Or is Tess about to marry her half-brother? Should Beth say something or keep it to herself? TOUGH spot to be in. 



This book...eerily enough...came at an ironic time. My mom was put up for adoption. She was adopted but she never knew anything about her biological family. Just within the last couple of weeks, we have tracked them down. She has a whole bunch of half siblings out there that have lived around her her whole life and she never knew it. Luckily I know my dad is not her half sibling (*wipes sweat from brow*), but WHAT IF? Could you imagine? Is it better to not know then find out years later? There is a lot to think about there for sure. 



I liked Beth a lot...she had a tough life. She got screwed over by men. Men are jerks!! *shakes fist* But yes...fate is not kind to her.



Liz was okay. I get her jealousy...but I feel it was unwarranted. 



I did NOT like Tess at the beginning, but once she matured a bit I grew to like her. 



It's hard to say much else without ruining all the twists and turns. But the ending made me cry. SOOOOOO GOOD! Kuddos to the author *tips hat*



This was a quick read, but it was a story with a lot going on. Easy to follow and the characters were intriguing with all the secrets and twists. Like I said...secrets never truly last. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 5. 




About Carole the Reviewer

What is there really to say? I am of course a lover of books, poetry, movies, plays, and music. Nothing is better than enjoying a cup of tea and immersing yourself in another world and forgetting about the world for just a little bit. My cat and chinchillas keep me entertained over here in Michigan (the mitten state of the USA). I'm game for any genre of book or movie. You can find me over at Carole Rae's Random Ramblings.







9 comments:

  1. Oh wow.. SO interesting. I could see why you loved this so much. The story itself is unique. What a roller coaster of emotion!!! I'll check this one out.
    Fantastic review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. an interesting topic and story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that really sounds like a ball of drama and some crazy family secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good. I'll have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow..this sounds freaky and suspenseful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHOA!!! My jaw literally dropped a this line "Not only is the timeline spooky, but Michael looks a LOT like Beth's baby daddy." AND THEN I started laughing lol

    This looks so good! Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You got my attention at Michael looks a lot like Beth's baby daddy." Love your review. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word. I am SO HOOKED! LOL I have added this to my to be read pile. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP