Wednesday 5 April 2017

The girls of Ennismore - Patricia Falvey

Ireland, 1900. Two girls meet. They are from vastly different worlds, but will be united in friendship through loves, losses and wars. A sweeping, heartrending saga for fans of Lesley Pearse and Rosie Clarke. 

It's the early years of the twentieth century, and Victoria Bell and Rosie Killeen are best friends. Growing up in rural Ireland's County Mayo, their friendship is forged against the glorious backdrop of Ennismore House. However, Victoria, born of the aristocracy, and Rosie, daughter of a local farmer, both find that the disparity of their class and the simmering social tension in Ireland will push their friendship to the brink... 

My thoughts:
Victoria was the daughter of the big house, and she wanted a friend.
Rosie was the daughter of a tenant farmer, and if Victoria wanted a friend then Rosie's dad could not say no. And here was the first proof of the underlying tensions in the book. Sure it works out and they study together and become friends, but Rosie is always less.

This is more of a saga, we follow them during 17 years of their lives.And well since we start in 1900 you get what we will see. The beginning of WW1, tensions growing in Ireland, the Easter uprising. A country in turmoil.

They will grow up. Things will happen. Victoria is destined for one life, and Rosie for another.

Victoria was spoiled at first, not in a bad way, more in a naive way at times. She really did not see the whole truth.

While Rosie was a bit resentful at times. Which I get.

Conclusion:
There will hardships, romance, friendship. Two women, two destinies. It really is their story.

cover
nice

Paperback, 480 pages
Expected publication: April 6th 2017 by Corvus
Historical fiction /saga
For review

43 comments:

  1. I love stories that span years! And I like that this is about two women. I'm definitely interested in reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like an interesting one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love family sagas. Is this a hefty book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh 480...did not feel that long honestly

      Delete
  4. I can see how it would be hard for these two girls to stay friends since they are from different worlds. I could almost expect some resentment between them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was, but they became friends, and then not again

      Delete
  5. Halfway through the week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love friendship stories! And this one sounds good, and I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting friendship during an interesting time. Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh this sounds super interesting. I have not read a lot of saga type of books, but its interesting to follow two characters from young to old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that many, but quite a few

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a book that can surprise you. I do like that. Might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds interesting and rather good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good...so curious to think abut how that sort of friendship would hold up under that level of tension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works when they are kids cos then it's just new

      Delete
  12. Kinda reminds me of that show I tried watching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sound of this: the friendship of two girls from different classes. I think I watched a movie similar to this story. It ended with a tragedy, though. I forget the title.
    Anyway, awesome review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might like it - I only need the time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds really interesting. There are a lot of things that would make this friendship difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this would appeal to me more if I was more interested in the historical era, but the premise of an unlikely friendship sounds good!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds quite a read, can see how two from different classes would have their struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It has been a while since I have read a saga type story. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I used to read them more when younger for some reason

      Delete
  19. I have not read a saga in a while and this one sounds like the perfect one to sink my teeth in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What's with all the historical fiction? Gimme some action and romance! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty cover. And dang 17 years? That's a lot of time to cover!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP