Thursday 13 April 2017

The Guns of Empire - Django Wexler

As the roar of the guns subsides and the smoke of battle clears, the country of Vordan is offered a fragile peace…

After their shattering defeats at the hands of brilliant general Janus bet Vhalnich, the opposing powers have called all sides to the negotiating table, in hopes of securing an end to the war. Queen Raesinia of Vordan is anxious to see the return of peace, but Janus insists that any peace with the implacable Sworn Church of Elysium is doomed to fail. For their Priests of the Black, there can be no truce with heretics and demons they seek to destroy, and the war is to the death.

Soldiers Marcus d’Ivoire and Winter Ihernglass find themselves caught between their general and their queen. Now, each must decide which leader truly commands their loyalty—and what price they might pay for final victory.

And in the depths of Elysium, a malign force is rising—and defeating it might mean making sacrifices beyond anything they have ever imagined. 

My thoughts:
I do like military fantasy and Wexler does it so well. You do have to like battles to precipitate this series. Because they are on the move the entire time, fighting, marching, trying to survive.

Janus is, oh I do not know about him, his end goal and why. But he will keep on marching to destroy the church. I get that he wants to keep his country and queen safe. He is the mystery in the book.

Marcus follows his general and will think nothing about him. And I do like Marcus, he is a great general, his men loves him. But he does follow blindly.

And then is Winter. The woman pretending to be a man, and who now is a general. She has risen to be sure. She is a great leader too and then there is the fact that she has a demon inside of her.

Oh yes the demons. I get it more now. Not everything is black and white, there is a lot of grey, and yes I did not like the church to begin with. They are blind zealots who use demons to gain power. He sure keeps it interesting.

Conclusion:
A great story that has me wanting more. I can't wait to read the next book in this series

Cover
ok

Paperback, 480 pages
Published April 6th 2017 by Head of Zeus (first published August 9th 2016)
The Shadow Campaigns #4
Fantasy (military)
Own

43 comments:

  1. Not too many generals in this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about war and we follow the leaders so yup there are 3 generals

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Holiday tomorrow! but then I have been home for weeks

      Delete
  3. sounds different. I've never actually read a military fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A woman dressed as a man who is a general? DemonS? I need to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay hope you enjoy the next book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds interesting. I don't usually read this genre but I'm curious about this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo lots of fighting. And then sudden demons. Ergs! I'm glad I was not there. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure this one is for me, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really interesting. I don't know if I have read very many military fantasies but I like the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds good. I have not tried Wexler do you recommend starting with this series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well all he has is this one and a UF one I did not like

      Delete
  11. This looks very interesting! What a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The author is new to me. I have never read anything in this genre, but this makes me want to step out of the box. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like military books...but I really have to be in the mood. It's been a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like military fantasy, but just military, eh

      Delete
  14. Sounds like an awesome read! I love that there is a woman kicking butt as a general!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds good. It's good to know you love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh this sounds good! But yet another series...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh this sounds good!...and that's a rarity for me because this is a different genre. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want to love this series, but I'm a bit hesitant about all those battle scenes...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't heard of this one but I love a good fantasy so I'll have to check this one out! Thanks for putting this on my radar!!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP