Monday 3 April 2017

Madam Tulip and the knave of hearts - David Ahern

Author:  David Ahern
Title: Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts (Madam Tulip #2)
Genre: Mystery and Fiction
Pages: ebook
Published: Oct 2016
Where I Got It: My Shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)

When out-of-work actress Derry O'Donnell moonlights as celebrity fortune-teller Madam Tulip in an English Stately home, she’s trying to make some cash. 
Instead, she is drawn into an alien world of wealth, titled privilege and family secrets. 


A countess once a chorus girl, a gambling earl and his daughters, a cultured and handsome art expert—all caught in a terrifying web of ghastly threats, murder and 

abduction. As an aristocratic engagement party turns into a nightmare, Derry and her friend Bruce face the prospect of a gruesome and infamous death. 


This is the second book of the Madam Tulip series. However, it could be read as a standalone if need be. I do encourage reading the first one first just to really get an understanding of Derry and her entourage. 



Again, poor Derry is out of work again as an actress. She really should hang up her acting career and focus on being Madam Tulip and work with the police force. Maybe she can do some undercover work? That takes acting skills! But yes...the stage and her are not meant to be. 



She is back at it again and this time there is a lot more mystery going on. I must admit I had no idea who was the baddie and I had no idea where the story was going to go. Kuddos to the author on this! 'Tis a hard feat to really throw me for a loop. 



Now, I must admit this was not as funny or action-packed as the last one. Sure there was a lot going on, but the pace seemed stretched out and not as well done as the last book. There were a few times it seemed to draaaaaaaaaaagggggggggg, but then an event would happen and I would be hooked again. As for the humor? There were some funny moments especially with Derry and her crazy parents, but it seemed very scarce compared to the last one where I was nonstop laughing. I blame the boring rich people...they are rarely fun. 



I must give a hand to the author for his writing style and his character development. He certainly knows how to bring the characters alive and make them feel real. I adore Derry, but she really needs a kick of reality that she is not meant for the stage anymore....solving crimes and future-reading is her trade. 



In the end, this was okay. Not as good as the first book in many ways, but it did have a better mystery than the first one. I am curious to see where and what Derry has in her future. I recommend this series to those who like a good mystery. I shall give this a 3. 






About Carole the Reviewer

What is there really to say? I am of course a lover of books, poetry, movies, plays, and music. Nothing is better than enjoying a cup of tea and immersing yourself in another world and forgetting about the world for just a little bit. My cat and chinchillas keep me entertained over here in Michigan (the mitten state of the USA). I'm game for any genre of book or movie. You can find me over at Carole Rae's Random Ramblings.





11 comments:

  1. Even if it's slow at times at least it picks back up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... It's the sophomore slump! Hopefully the next one will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that you had some issues with this book, but I'm glad that the book kept you wanting more throughout. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had books like that. Dragging but still giving you something to really hold onto. Hope the next one is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry this one wasn't quite as good as the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sequels can be tricky, if the author doesn't nail the timing, things can start to unravel. Hope the next book will be more fulfilling.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd definitely start with the 1st book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry it was not as good as the first book, but thankfully it still managed to hold your attention.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP