Wednesday 28 November 2018

Age of Myth - Micheal J. Sullivan

Paperback, 432 pages
Published January 31st 2017 by Del Rey Books (first published June 28th 2016)
Series: The Legends of the First Empire #1
Fantasy
Own

My Thoughts:
I actually had a hard time getting into this book, so for once I am glad I took a breather. Because it was not bad, it was just long. A took a long break and then I started again, this time the pages flew by and I read it in a few days. It felt light and thrilling. I guess sometimes a break is good, but only if you know you will like it when you start again (I can not say the same for another book I put on break.)

This one takes place before the Riyria series, a series I really should read again cos suddenly I have so many questions! You can read it before that series, or after. Because reading it after R makes you go all whaaat? No way. Hehe.

Raithe kills a god. What is up with that?! The Fhrey can not be Gods if they die that easily or? As for Raithe he is one of those really good guys that you do like cos he is honorable and just.

Persephone is a widow trying to deal with her new role in their little society. She is smart and resourceful. Not a good thing if the new leader wants to look good. Oh I liked her, she was older, she did not back down. Though she should have seen a few things coming.

Suri is a teenage mystic. Mysterious and weird. Love her. She warns them that war is coming. Well obviously since a human killed a God. It's not like they can let that rest now can they.

Things will happen, but that war is still ahead of them. I really liked the whaaat moment I had regarding a certain God. That blew me away. Maybe I should have known it, but it was so long since I read Riyria.

Conclusion:
I liked the characters and I can not wait for more. I like Sullivan's style, it is very old school, which for me is perfect. Lighter you know.

Blurb
Since time immemorial, humans have worshipped the gods they call Fhrey, truly a race apart: invincible in battle, masters of magic, and seemingly immortal. But when a god falls to a human blade, the balance of power between humans and those they thought were gods changes forever.

Now only a few stand between humankind and annihilation: Raithe, reluctant to embrace his destiny as the God Killer; Suri, a young seer burdened by signs of impending doom; and Persephone, who must overcome personal tragedy to lead her people. The Age of Myth is over. The time of rebellion has begun.



16 comments:

  1. Good idea to put it aside and start again when the moment is right. Hmm old style - lighter - now that's what would draw me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like this style. SO much darkness in fantasy these days

      Delete
  2. Sometimes a break is all you need. Glad to hear you ended up liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When in doubt walk away and get a fresh head. I do this and I find that it helps with the tougher ones and I end up liking it or it becomes VERY clear this is not the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true! For this one it worked. For the other one I realised that nope, I can not do it

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, even if it took you some time to get into the rhythm of it. I find it's hard to jump into epic fantasy again after some time away, the huge page counts can get intimidating :P

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strange, but I am glad I let it rest, since I knew I liked it, but just could not get into it

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you liked it more when you picked it back up.

    Sometime sit's hard to know if it's the book or just the current mood.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Light is good - there's enough darkness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you ended up enjoying so much! Sometimes a break is exactly what is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a copy of this one so I am glad to see that you liked it. I sometimes have to set books aside until I am in the right mood for them. Glad this one worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOhoo, I hope you like it then, and is in the right mood

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP