Friday 23 November 2018

Death Below Stairs - Jennifer Ashley


Paperback, 313 pages
Published January 2nd 2018 by Berkley Books
Series: Kat Holloway Mysteries #1
Historical mystery
Library

My Thoughts
It seems that you met Kat and McAdam in a prequel novella, and I do detest those. This is the first book, f the prequels. But sure it works fine without it, but I did feel like I lost out why they liked each other.

Kat starts a new job. She is a excellent cook and every dish she serves sounds so yummy. As yes, they are talked about.

Her new employer seems to be a d*ck. Ugh, do not work for him!

Her new assistant is murdered, and Kat just started this bloody job the day before! But she is a smart woman, she takes no BS. And she will find out who did this.

McAdams is a mystery. But he seems to be everywhere, know everyone, and can do everything. So he sure works for someone. And he is on the case, sort of. I really do not know anything about him, so no real feelings. 

Then there is  Lady Rankin's sister who lives with Lord and Lady Rankin. She did not take any BS either and wore trousers cos she wanted to.

But how on earth Kat got away being away so much I do not know. Your job is in the kitchen!

Conclusion
It was light, short, a nice little mystery, suspense and some romantic feels.

Blurb
Highly sought-after young cook Kat Holloway takes a position in a Mayfair mansion and soon finds herself immersed in the odd household of Lord Rankin. Kat is unbothered by the family’s eccentricities as long as they stay away from her kitchen, but trouble finds its way below stairs when her young Irish assistant is murdered. 

Intent on discovering who killed the helpless kitchen maid, Kat turns to the ever-capable Daniel McAdam, who is certainly much more than the charming delivery man he pretends to be. Along with the assistance of Lord Rankin’s unconventional sister-in-law and a mathematical genius, Kat and Daniel discover that the household murder was the barest tip of a plot rife with danger and treason—one that’s a threat to Queen Victoria herself. 


30 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it Blodeuedd but I do like the prequels and thanks to you since this is on my wish list I now know there is one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried a lot about this author

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet my mom would like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read her paranormal books. This sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I read a paranormal fantasy book by this author and it was okay. I do wonder how Kat would get away with so much when her job is in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure she was good at what she did, but she sure ran around a lot ;)

      Delete
  6. I tend not to bother with prequel novellas either, I always just prefer to jump into the actual story.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just get annoyed when you have to read them, and then I do not even know about them

      Delete
  7. I am enjoying this series but didn't do the prequel - I usually don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I treated this one like a cozy mystery rather than a straight up and serious historical mystery which worked better when I wondered the same thing about how often she was away from her job. I read the next one and it furthers things a long only a smidge with McAdams. I think he's meant to be a bigger mystery than the murders. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes I could see that and then it works so much better! Lol, cos dang that woman was away a lot.

      Noo, bigger mystery than the murders, arghhhh

      Delete
  9. Oh, a maid is murdered and it is a threat to Queen Victoria, really? I don't know... and prequels often suck, it is known.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard great things about this series and do want to try it someday. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally interested in this series... I should see if it's on audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love this author so much and one of these days I will pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen this one around alot and it sounds good. I don't like prequels either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like these upstairs/ downstairs kinda mysteries!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP