Wednesday 21 November 2018

Audio: Blanca and Roja - Anna-Marie McLemore


Narrated by: Almarie Guerra, Kyla Garcia, James Fouhey, Therese Plummer
Length: 9 hrs and 38 mins
Release date: 10-09-18
Publisher: Audible Studios 
YA Fiction Magical realism
Thank you Audible for this review copy!

My Thoughts:
A wish was made, and the wish turned into a curse. In every del Cisne family 1 girl will turn into a swan. It does not matter if you get one daughter and then say no more, the swans will always have their way. There will always be two girls to choose for. And that is one terrible curse.

Blanca was the sweet one. Roja was the the dark one. And also literally. Blanca was almost blonde and was the princess. Roja had dark hair and was the witch. Blanca would do anything for her sister and I admired her for that. While Roja was jealous, resentful and at a certain point in the book I started to dislike her.

Fairytales are woven in and Roja thinks of the story of Snow White and Rose Red a lot. I guess we get some of those swan legends too. And I did like that. Which brings me to the problem i had with the book. I thought this would be fantasy, but then they talked about jeans and cars and it was magical realism. But then thing is, magical realism is always there and you can not quite know what you are seeing. While this was really straight forward, one will turn into a swan, the whole town knows it. And later there was even more magic. See, that was not my problem either, what I wanted was more world building. I know nothing except that there is a town, that we visit like once for a sec. There is their house and there is a farm. I do not know this world. I love world building, but this was driving me crazy. If it had been fantasy I could have lived with it, but now I was all, why does not anyone come to investigate them turning into swans! I mean since everyone knew it! It should have been fantasy. Now it was just lacking. And when I get stuck on something I can not let it go.

There are actually 4 POVS in this book. There are also two boys who have gone missing, but they are not missing. They turn into trees, bugs, bears, you name it and later they become human again to interact with the girls. Which yes obviously means everyone will fall in love. Barclay is the rich boy running from his family, and Page is running from her family because they can not deal with the fact that Page is a boy, and not a girl. Though she accepts being called she, but never girl. I liked Page, he was fleshed out. While Barclay was never really anything more than a blue eyed boy that Roja liked.

Conclusion:*
I did like the book (even if the menstruation parts felt too long and like fillers, oh and the end, there were like 10 endings. Just end already). I did wish it had been fantasy, because it did not feel like magical realism when I could not understand where it was . It could just as well have been fantasy then in a world with white and latin populations. I liked the magic over it and she is a great writer. So the positive balances out the negative.

Narrator.
Yes there are 4 and that works really well since they shift povs a lot. That way you really know who is talking since they are so different from each other. It was well balanced.

Blurb
The del Cisne girls have never just been sisters; they're also rivals, Blanca as obedient and graceful as Roja is vicious and manipulative. They know that, because of a generations-old spell, their family is bound to a bevy of swans deep in the woods. They know that, one day, the swans will pull them into a dangerous game that will leave one of them a girl, and trap the other in the body of a swan.   

But when two local boys become drawn into the game, the swans' spell intertwines with the strange and unpredictable magic lacing the woods, and all four of their fates depend on facing truths that could either save or destroy them. Blanca & Roja is the captivating story of sisters, friendship, love, hatred, and the price we pay to protect our hearts.

20 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I'm sorry there are parts that didn't work. But glad you enjoyed overall. I've read a few books where it seems like the ending takes way too long. It can be frustrating. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just keeps on going and going and going. It could have ended so many times before

      Delete
  2. it's alwyas a bit complicated with POVs for me but it's great it is well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works well since there are different narrators :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like they didn't quite meld the magical and real-world successfully. I do love Therese Plummer's narration, but not sure this would be a book for me. Great honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really weird. It felt like a magical world, rather than a magical realism world

      Delete
  4. This sounds good but I don't know... It's YA so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was curious about this one. I've read one of the author's previous books, but I know her stories heavily feature magic realism, and well, that can be hit or miss with me :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that. I do love magical realism, but here I honestly could not say that it was just not a fantasy land and that is too magical

      Delete
  6. ooooOOOooo people never learn. Never make wishes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm magical and fairy tales - promising. I like it when there are different narrators for a book, it certainly makes it so much easier to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like they spent a lot of time on the menstruation part. What's up with that? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was weird. I was all, get to the story, stuff is happening! But no, she has cramps

      Delete
  9. I do like the use of multiple narrators. I am not sure about this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 10 endings!? And I don't know, too many POV's start to confuse me. Glad you enjoyed it overall.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP