Saturday 10 December 2011

Review: Chill Run - Russell Brooks

Review by Anna
Genre: Thriller
Pages: 242
Published: December 2011

Eddie Barrow wants to be an author, but has problems finding a publisher who is willing to publish Eddie’s books. So he must sell them online himself, but doesn’t make a lot of money on that. He is the black sheep of his family, the only one who failed. He has a perfect sister and even his parents doesn’t hesitate to tell him how much he has failed in everything. 

He thinks that he need a publicity stunt, so the publisher will know his name. It doesn’t matter what kind of publicity stunt it is. He is willing to do anything. So with the help of his friends Corey and Jordyn, he gets himself a little work that is sure to give him publicity.

Unfortunately, things don’t go as planned, and Eddie soon finds out he is wanted for murder, all over Canada. His friend Corey is supposedly his partner-in-crime. What’s even worse, Eddie and Corey is accused of kidnapping Jordyn.

”Chill Run” is a good thriller, pretty short, but intense. I liked the book, although it did have some elements that I didn’t quite like. One of them being the language. The characters in the thriller use quite a foul language. Also, some of the characters speak with a very heavy French-Canadian accent. Just a little example. ”I want to see your hidee”. It took a while before I understood that the word ”hidee” means ID (identification card). In several places of the book, some characters speak French. I can not understand many word of French, so it was difficult to read those parts. The author did, however, translate the French sentences to English, which was good.

But, as I wrote earlier, it’s a good thriller and well worth reading. 




16 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the review, Anna. It's greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll teach you some French the next time I'm in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna, thanks for your review; I am glad you liked that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had that problem with a lot of books set in the UK. There are phrases that just go right over my head. Luckily because of the internet, I have friends living there and I can ask them what everything means. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that the author depicted the idioms and the way words are pronounced in that part of the world - makes the dialogue more authentic. Poor self-pubbed authors, as if they don't have enough to worry about, this one's wanted for murder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Anna for the review

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story contains expressions from Barbados and from Quebec. Locals will understand them, but I made sure to include the translations into the text so that non-local readers will understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review Anna!

    Sounds like a good thrill ride. I like those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruseell
    I will tell her so


    Ana
    :)


    Karen
    I remember the first time I read this UK magazine, I was so lost :)


    Steph
    Lol, true


    Melissa
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Melissa. Thanks for stopping by. I don't know if you read Pandora's Succession, but Chill Run is very different. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmmm...that heavy accent might distract me while reading. I had no idea what 'hidee' was myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it got "language barrier" kinda problem it might be a slow read for me...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Naida @Cherry The parts in French were very minimal and accounted for less than 2% of the novel. And any speech that was in French was always followed with an English translation as a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anna, nice review, but I really dislike swearing. In books and in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My friend is reading this one too. Not quite my type of read and I think that the crazy use of French speak would drive me crazeeee.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP