Tuesday 20 December 2011

Review: Touch of Power - Maria V.Snyder

Series: Healer #1
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 394
Published: Dec 20, 2011
Publisher: Mira
Source: Netgalley

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life….

My thoughts:
I liked Poison Study, though not the two books that followed. But then I heard that this one was good and I wanted to give it a go. And it was a good, YA fantasy where everything is nice and sweet, even if there is war and death around. 

I liked the idea of a bad bad plague sweeping through the land, killing most people and now people are struggling to survive while a few leaders are trying to conquer and bring peace in their own way. And I also liked that healers have been killed to extinction, to not get me wrong, it is awful. But it sure brings drama to the book. 

And the heroine Avry, is one of those healers and she is running for her life. I must say that the more I learnt about healers the more I thought their job seriously sucked. I have no idea how she did it. 

Out merry bang of soldiers then, they were a good cast. And of course I knew at once who would become a love interest even though it took a long time. 

Now on to the negative things. Honestly, how is this woman still alive?! She was sarcastic, snarky and bitchy towards the wrong people. She should have been lying in a puddle of blood, every bone in her body broken. How am I am supposed to take the baddies seriously when they let her get away with things like that? And then there was the baddy who stole kisses from her, oh please, he is a baddie, you all know what would happen. But this is YA, and that is what I meant at the beginning that everything is so sweet and nice. Then some bad things are thrown in and am I supposed to be shocked? No way, I was still waiting for someone to beat the crap out of Avry. 

And the baddies then. Yeah, was I supposed to think that Tohon was evil? Sure he was. But Estrid persecuted people cos of religious views and kidnapped people. And the king that Kerrick wants her to save is just as bad as the rest of them. I can't like him them. Either be bad, or not. And I liked Tohon, actually the best of all the characters in this book. 

The world is also different, so very medieval, and then not. Suddenly modern things are thrown in. It works because of the way they are used. I guess some people there just hide technology better. Or, I do not know.

Conclusion:
In the end this was a good book, even if a bit too nice, considering events. There was no major cliffie and I do want to know what happens to this world.

Cover:
it works



30 comments:

  1. It seems I liked this book a little more than you. LOL I found the dude villan to be creepy! But you're right about Avry and how it's surprising how she's still alive. But I liked her quite a bit. I think I may have a soft spot for snarky heroines. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting concept. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy. :) Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha. Is it me or do you just dislike Avry very much?

    Anyways, sounds like an interest plot and concept, but nah, I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie
    Lol,, I liked him, I am so screwed up. But he was a good baddie, not scary bad, just yes creepy.

    I do like snark, just here it felt strange. I would certainly not be like that with someone who would rape and kill me just like that


    CE Hart
    It was a fun past time


    Carole
    Hihi, truth be told, I liked her. Yes I said she should be dead, but that was just cos she should be dead. If I was a baddie I would have had her head

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, how is this woman still alive?! She was sarcastic, snarky and bitchy towards the wrong people. She should have been lying in a puddle of blood, every bone in her body broken. How am I am supposed to take the baddies seriously when they let her get away with things like that?

    You know, I could have written that bit myself. I am not sure this book would work for me but thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm like 40% into the book, and I did not find it nice at all (well, yet). I mean you are right about her not being in a pool of blood, but ugh! Right now I hate her love interest. As soon as she was hit, that was it for me. So, I'm waiting to see if he makes it up to ME. I know I'm harder to impress after something like that than the YA heroine (even though I really like her so far). LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would feel like smacking the main character all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this one. I'm working on my review now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana
    Hihi, I totally got my snark one ;)
    Mostly I just let things slide, but sometimes I need to nitpick and here, well if this was an adult book then she would not have gotten away with it.


    Melissa
    I do have a dark side, nah, but you see it too. And I guess I am so jaded after gruesome adult books.

    I could not say too much about the love interest, it felt liek spoilers but YES! Omg, how does one fall for someone who chains you too a tree, starves and hits you! Yeesh, the only thing Tohon did was kiss her.


    Chris
    You and me both


    Jenny
    I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm I'm not sure about this one. I've never read anything by her but I'm not sure if this is the one to start with...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elysium
    I'd say read Poison Study even if they other two books sucked

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm...A medieval fantasy world with a bit of technology throw in...sounds like steampunk. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this actually (my review is up tomorrow!) but I was definitely thinking the bad guy would do more than just kiss her - under real circumstances she wouldn't be allowed such freedom in the castle either - but I read the book so quickly it never really bothered me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like good YA fantasy. Even the 'baddies' sound pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked this one but didn't love it. I felt it was lacking a bit of direction and it was a bit derivative of Poison Study.

    Will still read the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is too funny! I'm not sure I'd like this book if it makes me want someone to beat the crap out of the heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like you, I enjoyed Poison Study but not the two books that followed it. I don't think I'd like this book much, either- it sounds like the heroine is maybe just snarky to be snarky, instead of snarky to serve a real purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of those series I am not sure I will read but it is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting that Avry was able to mouth off to all the bad guys with little to no repercussions, that would call into question their evilness:) I still really like the sound of this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Missie
    I would not say that, since the technology was this one thing, the rest is purely medieval, as far I as can see so far ;)


    Mel
    I did like it, but had to nitpick since yes what kind of baddie does that? He needs to go to baddie school. At least throw her in a dungeon.


    Naida
    I did like the baddie, ohhh I love a good baddie


    Marg
    True, I really liked Poison, but something of the awesomness was missing from it. Still it was better than Magic study.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Steph
    Lol! I did not want anyone to do it, I am just saying that if this was an adult book it would have happened.


    Aarti
    So sad when that happened cos Poison was good and then I just got really disappointed.

    ...I do think you are right, she was snarky to be snarky. cos she got nothing out of it.


    Felicia
    I still liked it :)


    Jenny
    Oh yes I am so taking their evil card from them! If a true evil guy saw that he would be so ashamed he would throw himself on his sword.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed this book more in the beginning than the end, though now I can't remember why that was, or even what the story was about. That's not a good sign, especially since I haven't yet written my review of it. Well, I'm glad that you enjoyed it somewhat and hopefully I won't be subjected to your ire for insisting that you read it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really enjoyed Poison Study as well but I haven't yet continued on with the other books. I didn't realize that this was connected...I'm adding it to my wishlist now :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've seen this one once before but with a different cover I think. I like the concept. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simcha
    Yikes ;) That is not a good sign at all. As for me, yes I think the beginning was better cos at the end I got frustated at the baddie who was more like a puppy who tried to hard.


    Smantha
    Oh...I have no idea about that. I do not think they are connected.


    Alexis
    Yes there is this other cover around that I really enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am reading such mixed reviews about this one. Not sure I will like it enough myself.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I'd enjoy this one. I like anything to do with healers. However I still have her other books to read first. They've been on my Kindle forever.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just got my copy in the mail! :) Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do like the sound of Touch of Power, how can I not when it's a YA you like!? ;D Nina really enjoyed this one as well if I remember correctly. It goes onto my ever growing wishlist I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aurian
    I am..well it is worth it, that much I can say


    Darlene
    I hope you do, especially the Poison one (the other two..eh)


    Cherry
    YAY, enjoy!


    Mary
    That is because it is fantasy ;D Those I can like, even love. Miracles to happen, lol

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP