Tuesday 19 June 2012

The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine - Jayne Fresina


"Wanted: one husband, not too particular. Small dowry, several books, sundry furnishings, and elderly aunt included. Idlers, time-wasters, and gentlemen with other attachments need not apply."

Scarred in a childhood accident, Sophia Valentine doesn't expect any takers on her ad for a husband in the Farmer's Gazette, until the mysterious Lazarus Kane shows up at her door. To Sophia, he is an exciting, enigmatic stranger. But Lazarus has known Sophia for years and has come a long way to find her. Things are about to get complicated for the mischievous Miss Valentine.

My thoughts:
Sophie was sure a different sort of heroine and even if she regretted it later, I sure loved that she placed an add for a man in a paper. She had spirit.

Sophie is turning 30 soon, she has an annoying sister-in-law, she has a scar which other young lady says ruins her, and she caused a great scandal when young so now she is rotting away. She tries to be proper but a hussy is hiding inside of her, though she wont let her wild side free. She also climbs trees, and I liked that, cos hey I loved trees. So if she want to hide in one then you go girl. I just liked her because she was real to me. And I liked to see her find that wild side again.

The romance then, yes a man shows up. A man who has wanted her for quite some time. A man who does not take no for an answer, a man who is totally wrong for her (class and more), but a man who makes her heart soar. And I do love a man who does not give up, he wanted her, and for all the right reasons.

Then we have a cool aunt, the tiresome sister in law, Sophie's idiot brother, and, well more. I'll leave it at that.

I guess I should have been annoyed at a few places, you know me and my suddenly prudish historical romance side but here I just said, you go for it girl! ;)

Conclusion:
A cute and fun romance that turned passionate, very passionate.

Cover:
Cute

Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 384
Published: June 5th from Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: For review

47 comments:

  1. A cute romance? I am glad you liked it (muttering something dark under her nose).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, oh you would despise the cuteness

      Delete
    2. Cuteness overload is bad for my brain. ;p

      Delete
  2. I like a heroine with a hussy hiding inside her LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An inner hussy is always good to have :)

      Delete
  3. "She tries to be proper but a hussy is hiding inside of her, though she wont let her wild side free."

    *snorts* I think I like her already! The whole premise sounds really enjoyable, and like you, I love a man who doesn't give up. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them, they should not give up :D They should go for it :D And he did.

      Delete
  4. I love that she put an ad in the paper for a man! I tell you at times I feel almost that desperate LOL

    Great Review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it worked :D Of course the whole village things her crazy

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. She was fun :) I just wished she had gotten more in her youth, even if she was happy

      Delete
  6. How am I supposed to identify that cover guy with his abs obscured??!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like my type of man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a fun read - but I keep getting distracted by the guy on the front cover! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book sounds really good, but the cover is cheesy! Hey what girl wouldn't want a persistent man as long as he is hot and not a stalker and not creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes stalker and creepy is not two good things. Luckily our hero was not that gross

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a lovely read; might try it because I've been away from romance since ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No romance for you? what a shame, I love my cute romances :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for the review! Glad you enjoyed Sophie and fell in love with Lazarus :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a hoot, about due for a light, fun read :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like such a fun read..you are killing my book budget..awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sophie sounds like a very modern heroine. I say let the inner hussy come out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it..for once ;) There are people that are old school today so why can't she be modern then :)

      Delete
  15. I have read more good things about this one, and yes, almost 30 you are allowed to have sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say so. The women needs to experience life and not the crappy existence she has going now

      Delete
  16. Fun and cute? Hm... like the modern twist on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh... sounds like I would like this book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm glad to see that you liked this! i am reading it next and i was a little worried b/c i've seen mixed reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen those things too but the things that bothered those did not bother me this time around

      Delete
  19. I most frequently turn to cozy mysteries for my lighter reads, but I would like to try a few romances like this one. It does sound like a fun read. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been meaning to read a cozy for ages..and ages! But there are so many and I do not know where to start

      Delete
  20. Oh this one sounds like fun and one I probably would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, this one sound like fun. I haven't read a historical romance in a while because they've all started sounding alike but this ones seems like it might be a little different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was all thanks to her :)
      And I get that, many are very alike, but I still enjoy the cuteness

      Delete
  22. Sounds like a romance I'd enjoy. I love the idea that she put up an ad.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP