Thursday 21 June 2012

Review: Lord of the Black Isle - Elaine Coffman

Lord of the Black Isle
WHAT HE NEEDS MOST...
David Murray, Earl of Kinloss, never wanted to be the laird. But the title is thrust upon him, and now the well-being of his clan weighs heavily on his shoulders. He has never felt so alone, until a beautiful healer from another time is brought to the Black Isle...

IS WHAT SHE DOES BEST...
When Dr. Elisabeth Douglas is thrown back into time to sixteenth-century Scotland, she decides to use her modern medical knowledge to save lives. In a time when a healer may be accused of witchcraft, she must keep her secret closely guarded, especially from David, whose uncanny curiosity could destroy them both.

My thoughts:
This is book 3..but not really book "3". Since it's all about book 2 and 3. Book 1 is about a distant ancestor. Those are connected, but book 3 can still be read as a stand alone. We hear that Elizabeth has been  brought back in time and her story to love begin. Book 2 was about her sister and Elizabeth wasn't really in it as she had been kidnapped. But this then is her book.

A highlander book, do I need to say more? A hot hunky highlander who wants to sweep our heroine off her feet. He is a bit brooding too as he has to take over as Earl. the heroine is totally different, but then she is a modern woman who wants to practice medicine just as she did back home. And she speaks her mind, she is also a bit heartbroken, but then the best cure for that is of course said hunky highlander.

The lovestory does not happen at once, it actually has to grow a bit first (even if he totally wants her from day 1 ;) But she takes her time.

If I have to say anything negative it would be that sometimes she thought too much,  and I did not need to know about the proverb in her head right now, or that she has no antibiotics, yeah, we get that. But that is not much in the end.

Conclusion:
All in all a good lovestory about a  modern woman and a 16th century Highlander. They clash, and there is passion.

Cover
Look at him, holding that sword and all..hihih

Series: Black Douglas #3
Genre: Historical romance  /timetravel
Pages: 352
Published: June 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: For review


45 comments:

  1. I am an over-thinker so I don't think that would bug me at all LOL :)

    Over-analyzers unite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, maybe I saw too much of myself in her ;)

      Delete
  2. I read Return of the Black Douglas and look forward to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The characters get my attention (16th century Highlander and a modern woman? I'm in.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OVER-ANALYZERS UNIT!

    Maaaan, sometimes I wish I was sucked into the past to get with a hunky highlander. :) Well...I would have to double check to make sure we weren't related because that would be a little awkward if I got with my great(etc) grandfather. Mhmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Euwwwwwww!!!!!
      But yes please send me back in time so that I can meet a hunky highlander..though I prefer him to have short hair..pretty please

      Delete
  5. Oh it's been a long time since I read a A highlander book. This one sounds nice, I didn't know this series. You'll become my reference for romance book I think lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, I do have lots of romance on this blog. So you will find a lot..I hope ;)

      Delete
  6. I've never read a highlander book! Being this close to scotland there's not really a lot of them available in the UK for some reason - I suppose we can just head north to nab our own real one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never?!?! What is this madness that I hear of? But then again you do live close so that must be the reason

      Delete
  7. new2me
    sounds fun
    tnx 4 the review

    ReplyDelete
  8. YaY! It's a stand a lone so I don't have to worry if I pick this one up. :) Plus, hot hunky highlander... what more do I need to know? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well technically it is part of a series, so don't you go and think you are getting away with anything ;)

      Delete
  9. No cover commentary?! That's my favorite part of your reviews! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, what do I keep forgetting!!!!?
      *goes to fix it*

      Hunky is the word

      Delete
    2. You seem a bit excited about his... sword. ;p

      Delete
    3. Well it is ..long..actually when I look closer it looks short, how disappointing

      Delete
  10. The guy on the cover looks like he's deep in thought as he's swinging his sword. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That he does seem to be, poor guy, all lost in thought

      Delete
  11. hunky highlander? I'm in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy you had me at highlander and sealed it at time travel..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! But yes how can one say no to that

      Delete
  13. I've never read about a highlander. I think I'm missing something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. The best love stories are the ones that simmer just a little bit. Great review. And I've not read a highlander book yet... Sorry! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. woo! Hello Lord of the Black Isle!! This one sounds good. I'm a sucker for highlanders.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really good and what an amazing cover! I don't read many historicals but I do love those highlanders :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just so good, alpha and all that

      Delete
  17. How refreshing - a love story that doesn't happen all at once! Very rare in novels nowadays where everything happens instantaneously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passion happens at once, but hey that is loften the case ;) at least they do not do anyting about it

      Delete
  18. I am dead tired of these hunky Scotsmen who do NOT want to be an earl. Ok, pass the title to your relative, go and be an ordinary shepherd, what's wrong with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes silly Highlanders, be an Earl! You do not get tbhe girl being a poor smelly shepherd..even if that was not your meaning ;)

      Delete
  19. Nice review, though that first sentence is not really clear, but my head is tired at the moment. I love reading about highlanders, time to pick one up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can check it, my head is never clear when I wrote, I never read through it

      Delete
  20. This book sounds interesting -- I am intrigued! Must add it to my wish list. Thanks for the review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A highlander book is always a seller for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I hate it when a story drags too much with a lot of internal over analyzing. It becomes very boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it just seemed like she was trying to preach

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP