Tuesday 12 June 2012

Review: To Turn Full Circle - Linda Mitchelmore

Set in Devon the first novel in a trilogy. 

Life in Devon in 1909 is hard and unforgiving, especially for young Emma Le Goff, whose mother and brother die in curious circumstances, leaving her totally alone in the world. While she grieves, her callous landlord Reuben Jago claims her home and belongings. His son Seth is deeply attracted to Emma and sympathises with her desperate need to find out what really happened, but all his attempts to help only incur his father’s wrath.

When mysterious fisherman Matthew Caunter comes to Emma’s rescue. Matthew is kind and charismatic, but handsome Seth is never far from Emma’s mind. Whatever twists and turns her life takes, it seems there is always something – or someone – missing. Can Seth persuade Emma that they can overcome their past?

My thoughts:
Poor Emma, she sure lived in a village filled with bitches and bastards. People can be so cruel, but then they can be so kind too and not ask for anything in return. It kind of reminded me of the Catherine Cookson stories, her heroines always have a hard time before finding their way and luck.

Emma is 15 when her parents die and the crappy village she lives in does not make things better. She is on her own, but she is strong and wont let anyone push her around. That is what I liked about her, her will do go on and try. Even if I had run away and lived in the woods, cos I just could not take all those people talking behind my back. She tries to build a new life and that is not easy.

The romantic interest is Seth, he does try to do his best by her, but when he stands up someone always pulls him down (his family is horrid.) These two does not have an easy way to each other and sometimes I wondered if they ever would end up together (I will of course not tell you). It's a love that grows and matures. Other people in the book are of course Seth's horrible father and brothers. And Matthew who shows up like a knight in shining armor. He was one of the nice ones.

I really can't say more as a few years go by and things happen in the book. There is heartache, happiness and it's a story about a courageous young woman.

Conclusion:
It's a book that promises drama, romance and even a mystery behind the scenes. After a bit of a heartbreaking beginning the book just flows on and is truly easy to read.

Genre: Historical romantic fiction
Pages: 300
Published: June 7th 2012 by Choc Lit
Source: For review
Kindle UK /USPrint

44 comments:

  1. This book sounds good Blod. You're reviews always make me smile. "Poor Emma, she sure lived in a village filled with bitches and bastards."<-lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, I am glad :) One women in particular just made me soooo mad!!!!

      Delete
  2. Great review, I'll keep this title in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwwwwwwwww sounds like a good tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do wonder, where is the line between historical fiction, and historical romance? But the story does sound nice, thanks for the review Blodeuedd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The line is, well it's hard. It's not historical fiction and it's not historical romance. It's more fiction on general, which sounds weird since than it's his fic, but well it just is not. I need a new genre for it. It's fiction with romance

      Delete
  5. Well I hope to god she gets out of that village with all the bastards and bitches! That line made me laugh. I am sure this book has some valuable lessons and messes with your emotions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I had to say it like it was. The first 80 pages made me wanna punch someone in the face ;)

      Delete
  6. You're really enjoying the Choc Lit books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun :) Even if I can never place the genre

      Delete
  7. I love a character growth story... and I love your reviews! You always manage to put a smile on my face. That first line was perfect! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I do my best. It seems I swear in my reviews. Well a little. And I who just read a post where someone looked down on that

      Delete
  8. That cover does not prepare me for historical romance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's not, arghh hard genre to place. It's his fic with romance thrown in

      Delete
    2. It doesn't look historical at all...

      Delete
    3. well if you look close you could imagine her clothes to be from that era, her being poor and all

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a good book. Kind of reminds me of The Tea Rose. I'm going to put it on my TBR list. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember seeing that book around a few blogs :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds wonderful..and it's the first in a series..not the 11th..LOL Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, yup first, even if I did not know that before finding the blurb

      Delete
  11. A 15 year old girl in the 1900s... sounds like she doesn't stand a chance already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A village filled with bitches and bastards seems like a location I know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a horrid village..ok I should not judge all, but, booo on them

      Delete
  13. This sounds like an interesting & different kind of historical romance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a strong women with a fight on her hands to find love and a good life. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure fought for it, and she had such good goals, good for her :)

      Delete
  15. Emma sure sounds like she has a hard future carved out for her. I'm so curious if she ever got her HEA?! Excellent review, B :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lips are sealed (but since I did not throw it at the wall.. ;)

      Delete
  16. I didn't know this book neither the author but it's intriguing. It's nice to have a story during this period to learn more. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like more books from this era to when I think about it. That would be really fun. I do not read nearly enough books from then

      Delete
  17. i love reading about this time period so that part sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha - "a village full of bitches and bastards" It sounds like where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw poor Emma! Living in a village full of bitches and bastards...I can relate sometimes :) Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad that I read your review because honestly that cover is not appealing at all and I would've never looked twice at this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually don't read books like this because I'm lame. I stopped reading some authors because the author puts the character through soooo much before it comes together in the end. I'm so sad that I'm like this but I just can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first 80 pages were though, and I wanted to scream. But it got better and nothing truly bad happened, cos then I would have died :/

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP