Thursday 28 June 2012

Review: My Fair Concubine - Jeannie Lin

My Fair Concubine
The Nobleman Who Turned a Tea Girl Into a Princess...
Yan Ling tries hard to be servile—it's what's expected of a girl of her class. Being intelligent and strong-minded, she finds it a constant battle. 

Proud Fei Long is unimpressed by her spirit—until he realizes she's the answer to his problems. He has to deliver the emperor a "princess." In two months can he train a tea girl to pass as a noblewoman? 

Yet it's hard to teach good etiquette when all Fei Long wants to do is break it, by taking this tea girl for his own... 

My thoughts:
I liked this one for the simply reason that it was so different from the historical romance that I have read before. I loved going back to China 800 AD and experiencing something totally new. The clothes, the manners everything needed to transport me there.

The story is a take on my fair lady as Fei Long needs a"princess" and fast. So he takes on Yan Ling and tries to teach her etiquette and everything else needed. She is to be a peace bride and sent away to distant lands. The whole princess part is not really true as the Emperor has found ways to cheat sending his own daughters and instead he can make a high ranking nobleman's daughter a princess. Still Yan Ling has a long way to go, or at least cheat her way through as what would her family know in the end.

Yan Ling saw a way to a new life and who can blame her. She is also strong and speaks her mind. Even if she tries her best not to. While our hero Fei Ling is quiet, strong, proud and wants to the best for his family so they will not be ruined.

And of course they fall in love, but slowly, and it takes time as they are from two different worlds. They are careful about their true emotions as they should be. It's a delicate dance as they both have their duty to fulfill and that is not to love each other.

I really must read more by her after this. I wish all historical romances could be this different, new and wonderful. I fear I have been stuck in regency land way too long, or playing with Highlanders.

Conclusion:
A wonderful story in a rich setting.

Cover:
One of the most beautiful this year

Series: Tang Dynasty #3
Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 280
Published: May 2012 by Harlequin


45 comments:

  1. ooooooooooh, I can't wait to read this one! The cover is simply beautiful and the man isn't bad either. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound unique - and I like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds really fantastic! I love to find something new and different in a genre I love. I'll have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great :D Sure I adore regency romances, but this one was so great and different. I want more like this. New places, new times

      Delete
  4. Well, I don't mind "playing" with highlanders... ;) but I do love something different! I've been curious about this one and you just pushed it on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, I do like my alpha highlanders, but it's great to try something new and different :D

      Delete
  5. This sounds very good and different. Every book I've read set in China has been in 1800's and I'd love to read something different. And the cover is pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, 1800 or 1900s, but this one was old. Like those awesome movies I like, Hero, Flying daggers :)

      Delete
  6. I want it! Awesome review, I love going to different periods in history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a history lover, this was just golden for me

      Delete
  7. This sounds really different. I'm not big on historical fiction, but I've been reading about so many good ones I probably should check out a few. I'll keep my eyes open for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very elaborate book cover. And different can definitely be good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read a book set during that period, so that in itself intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you're ok with reading a book of ancient China that isn't a romance but rather a fantasy, try Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China that Never Was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so nice. You are right, it's not good to be stuck in the same genre for too long, change is good. Cute cover too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is sure good :) And I'd sure love more like this

      Delete
  12. I loved this book and highly recommend you checking out Lin's other writings-I think you'll love the setting as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read several reviews of this one on GR. I don't know. I might be tempted but My Fair Lady is such a cliche...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But in the end everything is one big cliche

      Delete
  14. I want to read this book just because is different from the norm. I'm adding it to my TBR. Thank for the recommendation ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good :) It's good to try other things too

      Delete
  15. From the title of the book, I wouldn't pick it up, but once I read your thoughts, I changed my mind. Thanks B :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds gr8
    tnx 4 the the review

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I don"t think I read a book on that period, so intriguing. It's great to have a different book, it's sometimes very difficult...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice review, yours is the third I read about this book that makes me want it in my own hands asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear :) Yup it's just something about this book

      Delete
  19. I love that this is set in China and I love the title - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hardly see any books that take place in ancient China. It sounds good so I will have to look into this series and check out the other books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is hard to find any books from this period or any period really

      Delete
  21. Such a cool twist with this book being set in China!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds wonderful, I love reads set in ancient China or Japan, although it's been a while since I've read one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh ancient Japan, now I really wanna find more books like this one

      Delete
  23. I've read very little in this period. I like the sound of this one but I really don't like the cover. It looks too cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do not? I just love it :D
      But yes not much set in this period at all

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP