Monday 18 June 2012

Review: Wonder Girls - Catherine Jones + guestposting


Don't follow the crowd,' she'd be telling schoolgirls at the swimming baths. 'Follow your own star and when you have achieved your goal you will have that with you for the rest of your life...'
In 1928, a plucky young Welsh girl named Ida Gaze swims the Bristol Channel with the help of her best friend Freda and the inspiration of her heroine Amelia Earhart. In 1937, on the instructions of the matron, a young skivvy at a grand maternity hospital in London smuggles out an orphaned baby on one of the coldest nights of the year.

Now, in a small town in Wales, an old lady named Ceci pieces together these stories and is about to discover the surprising ways in which they link to her own. It begins with two girls in the twenties who left their small Welsh village for the Big Smoke, feeling that the world was changing and everything was possible…

My thoughts:
This book takes place in modern times when Cecily thanks to a new friend starts to wonder who a girl in a photo is. All things will come together in the end but the question was how. And that had me wondering.

In 1928 Ida and Freda are 16 and thinking about their futures. Or more like it trying not to think too much about it as parents nag. Ida loves to swim and wants to be free, but being like this she still seems to be the one who has the most to lose. While Freda is a bit more guarded, but at the same time she does not care at all what others think and is free with her emotions and feelings. Feelings towards her friend too. They are quite opposites in a way but they are both outsiders and friendship blossom. We follow them through trying times.

From the start I know that Cecily knew Freda, but she never knew Ida. So this old lady is trying to put the pieces back together. All while I am wondering about 1937 and the baby, but we get to that again and slowly the story unfolds. What really happened. And it's both sad and heartbreaking.

The title comes from the wonder girl that Ida was and that Freda too was. And they were go-getters in their own ways. But the book also shows that even if you have everything then something might still be missing. It's also a beautiful tale about friendship, first Freda and Ida, and then how a young woman named Sarah befriends Cecily and starts asking questions. Friendship through the ages is what the book is about, and how people can change. And of course it's also about those early women who broke boundaries and went where only men had gone before.

Conclusion:
A good story about now and then, and quite the mystery too as the story comes to us as the years go by.

Genre: Fiction (historical)
Pages: 416
Published: June 7th 2012 by Simon and Schuster UK
Source: For review
......................................
I am a guest over at Layers of Thought today so come on by and say hello :) I am being interviewed about books and writing :)






42 comments:

  1. This sounds like an intriguing read. I like books that link together the past and present :)

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      It sure had me guessing, and then knowing and then doubting

      Delete
  2. I really like books that skip between the present and the past. I need to check this one out. Great review. Now I'm heading over to Layers of Thought for your interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy :)
      I like them too, well if they are done well like this one

      Delete
  3. I love books that interweave the present with the past like that. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I ever read a book like that but I confess, it's intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds really cool! i wonder if it's available in the us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love historical books ahtat rely on flashbacks! This sounds really good. Another book that I loved that relied on this was The Bungalow by Sarah
    Jio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that one, yup I remember seeing it around and it sounded very interesting :D

      Delete
  7. I love the title! Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read too much historical fiction, but I love a story with a strong friendship at the forefront. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one sounds good Blod, I like stories about friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought the post title was a math equation at first. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good read to some, but it's just not my kind of read...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a good one! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this does sound very good. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good with fiction now and then

      Delete
  15. This sounds like a good chick lit book to really get into. I love it when it goes across time like that. Plus, I do like that cover. Somehow it fits and intrigues me...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you enjoyed it! I agree with Melissa...the cover is nice and it really matches the story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sound of this one...and I loved the interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did you cope B reading all that sadness and heartbreak? LOL Hope there was a happy ending. I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad :/ You do know I love my happiness, sadness well it makes me sad ;) But I knew something good would come out of it

      Delete
  19. I love books like this, though I'm just discovering this. I like how the past and present eventually comes together. I'm also interested in learning more about this friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friendship is always good to read about :=) I do love it

      Delete
  20. I hadn't heard of this one before but it's definitely the kind of story I gravitate towards. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP