Thursday 1 October 2015

A curious beginning - Deanna Raybourn

London, 1887. As the city prepares to celebrate Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee, Veronica Speedwell is marking a milestone of her own. After burying her spinster aunt, the orphaned Veronica is free to resume her world travels in pursuit of scientific inquiry—and the occasional romantic dalliance. As familiar with hunting butterflies as she is fending off admirers, Veronica wields her butterfly net and a sharpened hatpin with equal aplomb, and with her last connection to England now gone, she intends to embark upon the journey of a lifetime.

But fate has other plans, as Veronica discovers when she thwarts her own abduction with the help of an enigmatic German baron with ties to her mysterious past. Promising to reveal in time what he knows of the plot against her, the baron offers her temporary sanctuary in the care of his friend Stoker—a reclusive natural historian as intriguing as he is bad-tempered. But before the baron can deliver on his tantalizing vow to reveal the secrets he has concealed for decades, he is found murdered. Suddenly Veronica and Stoker are forced to go on the run from an elusive assailant, wary partners in search of the villainous truth. 

My thoughts:
Was Veronica a woman of her time? No. But then why would she have to? There are always rebels. She had wit, courage and a no nonsense attitude. She loved butterflies and was an avid collector, and financed her trips with that. Oh and she had affairs, but only with foreign men who can not tell the tale.

She lives with her aunts (and now there are no aunts left). A mysterious man shows up and tells her she is in danger, she does not care, but goes away with him. And she ends up with another mysterious man called Stoker. He was rather brooding, had secrets in his past and a chip on his shoulder. I could see them end up together, since they could fit.

But the story! Yes there is danger. Who killed the Baron? Who is after Veronica? Who were her parents?

At first I read and enjoyed the book, but then I become even more hooked! I Needed to know who here parents was. It turned into a nailbiting one for me, I was so curious. It's a good mystery, and I even woke up a bit early to finish it the next day.

Conclusion:
Mysteries, danger and a woman ahead of her time. Interesting tale, I wonder what happens in the next book. 

Cover
Not for me. But still good and it fits

Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: October 2nd 2015 by Titan Books Ltd
Veronica Speedwell Mystery #1
Historical mystery
for review

45 comments:

  1. The cover is too busy but you've made the book sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, but she has time for lots so ;)

      Delete
  2. Love a woman ahead of her time!!! This sounds like an overall winner to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with the idea of the story! Can I ask, is there a romantic element? It sounds like there might be, which would be great, but I hope it doesn't overshadow the mystery.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it does not overshadow the mystery, it seems Veronica does not really believe in romance. If she wants a fling she has a fling

      Delete
  4. actually never heard of this one, looks fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. The danger, action and addictiveness sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is new to me but I don't know, maybe not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good, laughing at the foreign men - what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A different cover than the one on the US release.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not really my genre, but I've heard good things about this author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I loved this one too, wasn't her identity jaw dropping?? And Stoker is such a hottie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg it was!!! That is why I could not put it down

      Delete
  11. I love when stories turn out better than you thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Intriguing cover! The US cover is different.

    I adored this one and want more Veronica and Stoker and a mystery for them to solve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that. It's very different.

      I do wonder what they will do next

      Delete
  13. This one sounds really good and knowing you woke up early to finish it it's a really good endorsement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Luci did wake me, but I did not go back to sleep ;)

      Delete
  14. argh I still haven't read her Lady Julia Grey series I've been meaning to. Maybe I should just start on this lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read that one either, but I do have some freebie by her on my reader

      Delete
  15. I'm really curious about this one, I heard so many great things about this one! i bought it so I'm waiting for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I like the other cover a lot more. I've got it on my tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a good rebel, especially when it comes to the female variety! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really loved this book as well, but mine has a different cover - which I actually liked better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Veronica sounds nothing like you would ever expect from a woman of her time! How very intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad you enjoyed this one as well Linda. I was hooked and loved Veronica!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, so glad you enjoyed it, Linda! I LOVED this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP