Wednesday 21 October 2015

Eight grave after dark - Darynda Jones

Charley Davidson has enough going on without having to worry about twelve hellhounds hot on her trail. She is, after all, incredibly pregnant and feeling like she could pop at any moment. But, just her luck, twelve deadly beasts from hell have chosen this time to escape onto our plane, and they've made Charley their target. And so she takes refuge at the only place she thinks they can't get to her: the grounds of an abandoned convent. Of course, if hellhounds aren't enough, Charley also has a new case to hold her attention: the decades-old murder of a newly-vowed nun she keeps seeing in the shadows of the convent.
Add to that the still unsolved murder of her father, the strange behavior of her husband, and Charley's tendency to attract the, shall we say, undead, and she has her hands full...but also tied.

My thoughts:
I did like, I did read it fast, but, oh I just wish it would end! I read the blurb for book 9 and it was SUCH a filler. It was more than a filler, it seemed like a book about nothing. But that is book 9, this is book 8.

Charley is very very very preggers, about to burst. They are hiding at a convent since hellhounds are after them.

We have a wedding.
We have angry hellhounds.
We have Reyes sneaking around.
A new arrival.
Searching for her dad's killer
Wondering what the Vatican is up to.
Wondering what Lucifer is up to.

But yes I enjoyed it, but yes I also wish it would end soon. A series that goes on and on, they tend to turn sour. It has not happened yet but I am scared. 

Cover
boring

Paperback, 297 pages
Published October 6th 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks
Charley Davidson #8
Paranormal suspense
Own

45 comments:

  1. That's what most people said about this one. I've only read the first book so far.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked it, but I wasn't crazy about this book. I hope next book is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, but after that blurb I doubt it

      Delete
  3. I've read a couple series where we got into the double digits without too much filler along the way, so hopefully that's the case with Charley! Maybe book 9 won't be as much filler as you think:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will have amnesia and meet her friends again, that does not sounds good

      Delete
  4. Hello, and thanks for sharing. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am worried too that it won't continue to entertain. I did like this one because it had some revelations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she did have a baby, but I am worried

      Delete
  6. It would be such a shame to see a series gone sour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See! That means that you don't love Reyes as much as I do! He is MINE! *grumpy face*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love this series. I enjoyed this book. I do see it as a filler, but this series is a LOL time for me and this book still brought that. I don't know how many more books, but I do agree that there shouldn't be too many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still is lol, I just worry, 5 more? I need an ending

      Delete
  9. Oh good grief! This series is this far along!?! I need to get to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an interesting series. That sometimes happens with long series and a filler every so often. I hope that won't be the case for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm feeling the worry, too. I haven't read this one yet, but the last few feel like the series arc is spinning its wheels. Still...it's Charley and Reyes and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them, but that spinning thing, yeah

      Delete
  12. Wait so she has a baby in this book but the next book sounds like it's filler? You'd think a huge event like that in someone's life would shake things up in the series a little, pity. I look forward to seeing the verdict when you tackle book 9.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the next book she will have amnesia and be somewhere else, and it seems meet her friends again Sigh, filler

      Delete
  13. Oh yes I always love so much all the books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this series to read. Yes there comes a time when a series needs to end. Must be hard though for author/publisher to call it a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they can make money they will keep it going

      Delete
  15. Whenever I think about Charley Davidson book I have a strong wish to drink a cup of coffee. :) I'm a little behind with this series but I will catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not drink coffee, sorry Charley! I did not have your back there

      Delete
  16. I must be the only one who hasn't read her yet :\ I feel left out...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree about going on too long... I hope this one doesn't. I wasn't a fan of books 6 and 7, so for me, this one was better. But the ending made me mad. We'll see where book 9 takes us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has kept going down. yes this one was good, but that ending, I hated everything about it

      Delete
  18. Not for me. Too bad tho...the cover and title seemed interesting

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, it's been going on too long without some kind of resolution. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't get enough of this series. I wish the opposite, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IF I felt they were all awesome then I'd wish the same

      Delete
  21. I did not like how this book ended either. I hope book 9 redeems it self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only hope. That one thing, grrrrrr, NO!

      Delete
  22. argh I have to start on this series, I was tossing up between First Grave on the Right and The Queen of the Tearling. Picked the wrong one I think ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP