Friday 9 October 2015

Dreams of Gods and Monsters - Laini Taylor

By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her, if there can even be a future for the chimaera in war-ravaged Eretz.

Common enemy, common cause.

When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people.

And, perhaps, for themselves. Toward a new way of living, and maybe even love.

But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz ... something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world.

What power can bruise the sky?

From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy. 

At the very barriers of space and time, what do gods and monsters dream of? And does anything else matter? 

My thoughts:
Yes I enjoyed this book, but did I love it like book 1? No. But I enjoyed it, and I liked the beauty of the words, and the quotes at some chapter beginnings. I finished it, almost in a day. I could not put it down. But, yes it had its share of shortcomings that did not make it as awesome as book 1.

And now I will try to see why it was not as great. Good, but not great. Made me want more, but not great.

I think it was because of Eliza, was she in book 2? I have no idea, but she showed up and I was all confused, was I supposed to know her? Or was she just suddenly thrown in?

The love between Akiva and Karou lacked some of that passion from earlier books. Now it felt lukewarm.

I expected more from Angels showing up on earth. Just more craziness.

Stuff happened, but at the same time stuff did not happen. It felt like there was too much of nothing, a filler book. It could have been shorter.

Conclusion:
But, it was still a good book. I was not disappointed, though, the end...that was rather ominous. Will there be more?

Cover 
So dull

Paperback, UK, 613 pages
Published April 17th 2014 by Hodder & Stoughton
Daughter of Smoke & Bone #3
YA, Paranormal
Library

49 comments:

  1. I agree, this one wasn't as strong as the rest of the series for me either. Part of that was definitely Eliza, I had no idea where she came from either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok so she was not in it before. I really thought I had forgotten her or smth

      Delete
  2. 600 pages? yow, thats a lot to finish within a day o.o good for you! sorry it did not live up to book 1 tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of short chapters and empty pages to be honest

      Delete
  3. Ah, second book syndrome once again, alas !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is dull indeed and actually I am sitting on the fence - I am not sure I want to read the rest of Karou's story. Once bitten twice shy and the second book was a kind of disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you felt like that about book 2, then yeah, it did not get better so....

      Delete
  5. While you might not have enjoyed this as much as book one ..you do have me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over 600 pages that ended up feeling a bit like a "filler" book? ouch ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is pretty dull. I think I might have this one actually (but not that cover) hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree, this series never lived up to the awesomeness of book one. There was too much going on, and I was disappointed that the secondary romance was left hanging.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I remember correctly, this one was the weakest of the bunch. I, like you, still loved the prose but it lacked compared to the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember exactly what I felt about book 2 but yeah :/

      Delete
  10. The cover is dull, but the title caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the first book! But this is a series where the story goes down hill with each installment. The cooling passion was my problem with it. Book 1 was such an amazing tale of forbidden love, and then the second one ruined it with all the betrayal BS and them not speaking to each other. I knew it was too good to last.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it was awesome!!

      True, down down down :/ So sad when that happens. And yes the whole romance was so weird, what happened to the passion? In the end I did not even believe they liked each other

      Delete
  12. Fillers can be good, but it must not feel like there is nothing happening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eliza wasn't in any of the earlier books. I was confused too! And the whole time I didn't like her part, but somehow at the end I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way she showed up I was so sure she had been in them before! She was there all the sudden like were were supposed to know her

      Delete
  14. Too bad as it wasn't as good as the first one but maybe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like it really left you wanting more. I agree on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely agree that this one is good, but not great. It has its flaws but I still love Taylor's writing and characterization, so those really carried over for me with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the things that saved it for me, but still, it could and should have been better

      Delete
  17. I have book 1 but haven't read that yet. And that cover is so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eliza was new. I wish she had a bigger role in the series - it would have helped binded her to the overall ARC a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just made me confused. If there had been hints about her before then that would have been better, now she felt like an afterthought

      Delete
  19. Hmm ... that's kind of disappointing since it's such a hefty book. I have read the first one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep, there sure is more :) I agree, the romance wasn't perfect, but the world & writing were beautiful. I enjoy Laini Taylor very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like her writing, but I felt she failed the romance here

      Delete
  21. I still haven't read the 1st book, I keep meaning to and then I get sidetracked by another pretty lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've had this book since it came out but I'm kind of afraid to read it. Most people felt the same as you did.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with you, this one wasn't as good as first book, still I liked it a lot. I listened to the audiobook, the narrator is great. And for what I know, this was last book in the series. I don't think she is planning to write more books in this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just felt so unfinished you know. I did read that someone had asked her and if she said if she was to write more it would be about someone else in that world

      Delete
  24. I didn't finish this one. I was listening to it and it felt quite slow.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP