Tuesday 20 October 2015

The madness of Cthulhu vol 2

​THE MADNESS GROWS

Recognized as Lovecraft’s masterpiece of terror, At the Mountains of Madness has or decades inspired dread in his readers and sparked the imaginations of the most hallowed practitioners of fantastic fiction. Taking the essence of his horrific vision, these modern masters have crafted new tales of the fantastic... 

My thoughts:
And now an anthology about the one whose name should not be spoken. We get different settings, different names. But those old ones just do not let go.

Here are my thoughts. I will try to make it short.

20 000 years under the sea by KEVIN J. ANDERSON
A captain Nemo story. A mystery island. Nice story.

Tsathoggua's breath by Brian Stableford
Ohh a viking story. I liked that. It was about a settlement on Greenland.

The door beneath by Alan Dean Foster
This time the Russians play with things they should not. Interesting.

Dead man walking by William F.Nolan
A detective story. It felt a bit noir.

A crazy mistake by Nancy Kilpatrick
I liked this one, but then I love mythology. It even made me want to study again.

The anatomy lesson by Cody Goodfellow
This one was pretty weird.

The hollow sky by Jason C.Eckhardt
An Antarctica story. Oh those spogghots (sp?). They are creepy evil SOBs.

The last ones by Mark Howard Jones
A story set in Ireland. Nice story and dark ending.

A footnote in the black budger by Jonathan Mayberry
I really should learn not to stop reading in the middle of short stories. Or maybe I was just not into it.

Deep fracture by Steve Rasnic Tem
A mining town. And a rather evil ending that made me curious.

The dream stone by Donald Tyson
2 friends and a weird stone. Creepy factor in this one, I was all what is going on?!

The blood in my mouth by LAIRD BARRON
A couple meeting falling in love. And again what is going on? More please.

On the shores of destruction by karen Haber
He is everywhere is he not.

Object 00922UU by Eric and Greg Bear
A sci-fi story. Nice change, but not for me.

You know the drill. Some were good. Some were meh. Some made me want more. Some had that thrill factor. They were all different even though they were about the old ones all of them. There are many ways you can go with this it seems.

Conclusion:
Nice for the spooky month. But yes it was not spooky, just a bit..unnerving at times. Like..do we really know what is hidden..do we?

Paperback, 304 pages
Expected publication: October 20th 2015 by Titan Books
Horror
For review

34 comments:

  1. These stories are more along the lines of what I like to read this time of year - not downright scary, just a little unnerving:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, anthologies, always good and bad, but also some great discoveries we wouldn't have picked up otherwise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like unnerving rather than straight up horror :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well bummer that this wasn't super spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I really enjoy Lovecraftian-inspired stories! Not sure an anthology would work for me though, when it comes to this theme I personally prefer novels.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading some of his. My friend let me borrow his collected works. I must read more for Halloween time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read his stuff so long ago - I can't say that I'll ever reread it, as I've completely lost my taste for horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem..I have never read it ;)

      Delete
    2. I do remember trying to sleep with the lights on after reading a lot of his stuff. :D

      Delete
  8. Not really one for anthologies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unnerving works for spooky month. I'll have to keep this in mind for next years spooky reads list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have managed to get two in so yay for that

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. It will still make you think twice about what's out there

      Delete
  11. Ah yes perfect read for this period of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're amazing with these anthologies, Linda! I wish I had your determination in tackling short stories (both to read, AND write...) I guess maybe I lack patience... Too many bad experiences...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good one. There are always those that don't work for ya or that are just okay in an antho. That comes with it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP