Friday 23 October 2015

Half a war - Joe Abercrombie

Words are weapons
Princess Skara has seen all she loved made blood and ashes. She is left with only words. But the right words can be as deadly as any blade. She must conquer her fears and sharpen her wits to a lethal edge if she is to reclaim her birthright.

Only half a war is fought with swords

The deep-cunning Father Yarvi has walked a long road from crippled slave to king’s minister. He has made allies of old foes and stitched together an uneasy peace. But now the ruthless Grandmother Wexen has raised the greatest army since the elves made war on God, and put Bright Yilling at its head – a man who worships no god but Death.

Sometimes one must fight evil with evil

Some – like Thorn Bathu and the sword-bearer Raith – are born to fight, perhaps to die. Others – like Brand the smith and Koll the wood-carver – would rather stand in the light. But when Mother War spreads her iron wings, she may cast the whole Shattered Sea into darkness...

My thoughts:
I liked it, but I am also unsure and I felt that certain things...I will try to explain.

I was never a fan of Skara, one of the POVS in this one. She went from what I felt was naive princess to super speaker. Everyone adored her. I do not like people that everyone adores.

Yarvi, dang it, I disliked him at times, many times. And I hated that. He was book 1. Book 1 was the best in this trilogy, and here he is so changed. A fool.

Koll, apprentice POV, a bit meh. Thorn, warrior woman showed up for a few lines. She is cool. Yarvis mum the golden queen is always cool. Gorm the king was an idiot. Rathi's POV, meh.

Oh and this religion sucks ass. All the Mothers as they are called should be put into the ocean without a ship.

So the elves looked like them. Sigh. Fine, post apocalyptic world. But why is it always a Feudal Europe? I get that we would get thrown back when everything fails, but we would still remember and progress would be made.

I still liked it, but it was the weak one of the bunch. And everyone had a unhappy ending in my opninion. I get that he is grim and all, but most everyone be denied something?

I get that war is bad and revenge sucks, but hello, these are warriors and they learn that lesson now. HA, I know it, and I have never been to war.

I just feel like I have more neg things to say than pos one, it's just, the ending sucked...for everyone. 

Good, but with many flaws. Read book 1 and be done.

Cover
God, that fire is ugly


Hardcover, 500 pages
Published July 16th 2015 by Harper Voyager
Shattered Sea #3
Fantasy YA
Library

46 comments:

  1. "They should be put into the ocean without a ship", LOL ! I'm sorry you were disappointed, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when the first book is so great, and the rest in a trilogy just don't measure up. boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was this the last book in the series or is there a chance for a better ending?

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess you didn't like many things about this one, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that it was good, and I would have read more. But there was just many things I disliked

      Delete
  5. Darn, I'm so sorry to see this ending wasn't satisfactory! Maybe I just shouldn't continue the series... :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some sorry ass fire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't love this one as much as the first either. I did like Skara but I see what you mean. I think she came into her own at the end. I'm curious to where it goes from here. In a way it could be finished in a way not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I just wished that she had had more flaws, that someone had not fallen under her spells. Yes some did not, but they still liked her somewhat. Everyone was so black or white. But that is who is is.

      Delete
  8. i'm confused, is this a fantasy or post apocalyptic ? and how on earth do you read these books so fast? lol wish i could

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fantasy. But it can be our future. Or it can just be that fantasy world's future. Or everything can just be nothing. There can have been elves with great magical weapons

      Delete
  9. DNFd the first one. It didn't grip me. Maybe I'll come back to it one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well sometimes it comes down to if you have more in pro column than the con column. And the fact that you have those columns stink after really enjoying the first book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still liked it, I just did not like what happened in it

      Delete
  11. LOL at not liking the ones everyone adores. ::snort:: And gah on the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I do not like people that everyone adores."

    Hahaha ... I know, I prefer the asshole. True.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't say i prefer those. I just like normal people. nOt mary sues

      Delete
  13. it's too bad that this one wasn't as good

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never read a Joe Abercrombie book. Sorry this one didn't work so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, book 1 was the best. No one really could match Yarvi, except maybe Thorn in book 2. This last book lost its steam somewhat; honestly, reading about Yarvi and Thorn was so much more interesting than reading about Skara and Koll and male-Thorn (that's how I saw him). And the ending was a bit too convenient for my tastes.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yarvi was awesome, in this book, so not awesome,
      Thorn was cool too. But malethorn skara and koll, meh, I even forgot their names afterwards

      Delete
  16. Hehe, I don't like people who everyone else adores either ;) Shame about this one, Linda...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bummer this wasn't a solid winner.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still have to read anything by Joe Abercrombie. Probably it will be book#1 from this series.
    And yes, that is one ugly fire...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never read Joe Abercrombie, haha is the book cover fire swords??

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was waiting to read this series until it was over and now that it is I'm not sure I want to read it. I like happily ever afters! Multi POVs are really hit or miss for me too. That sucks when they change a previously likable character. lol @ when you said you don't like the character everyone else likes. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...yeah no HEAs here, def no Heas. He does not d that

      Delete
  21. Hmm. I'm still curious of the series, but I'm so tight on time.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP