Tuesday 6 October 2015

Shadows of Self - Brandon Sanderson

Shadows of Self shows Mistborn’s society evolving as technology and magic mix, the economy grows, democracy contends with corruption, and religion becomes a growing cultural force, with four faiths competing for converts.

This bustling, optimistic, but still shaky society now faces its first instance of terrorism, crimes intended to stir up labor strife and religious conflict. Wax and Wayne, assisted by the lovely, brilliant Marasi, must unravel the conspiracy before civil strife stops Scadrial’s progress in its tracks.

My thoughts:
I do confess that my memory is not the best, and it was 3 years since I read book 4. But that is why this book was so good. It worked splendidly as a stand alone. And note, yes this is book 5, no this is not book 5. The first 3 books is a trilogy, book 4 and 5 takes place 300 years later and form their own series, and a continuation. 

Wax, a nobleman, and former lawman in the wild west, is trying to keep his house together and investigate what's happening in the city. To help him he has Wayne (who is weird, and good), and Marise, a cop. The investigation does not keep them all together, they are out doing their own things.

I need to get back to that whole western comment. Yes this is fantasy, but society has evolved and they now have steam, guns and even electricity. And the outskirts are still a bit wild. And magic is still around too, but if you know Sanderson then you know his magic is always unique.  That is why I am a Sandeson fangirl after all.

Back to the story. There is unrest in the city, people are upset, food is scarce, and someone is trying to start a rebellion. And we can't have society burn to ash again now can we?

Conclusion:
Good characters, a nice story and mystery, and as always, a awesome world and magic system. At least two more books are coming, and since a thing was mentioned at the end, oh it made me so very very curious. I will just wait for the next one then.

Cover
Ok

Hardcover, 384 pages
Expected publication: October 6th 2015 by Tor Books
Mistborn #5, Mistborn - Alloy Era #2, The Cosmere
Fantasy
For review

41 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about his YA books, I have them on my list, but I wasn't familiar with his adult series, so thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been bored with my usual reads lately. I need something outside my comfy zone or a new author to try

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad this one worked for you so many years after reading the previous book!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should not wait so long, but with Sanderson you have to

      Delete
  4. I still don't know why I haven't read this author, I need a kick in the arse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The universe is telling me to read Sanderson. This is the 5th book blog post from this week featuring Sanderson. I have to fix my lack of Sanderson reviews soon! Btw I nominated you for a Lovely Blog award :) Greetings from Lauttasaari! You gotta come by for a tea sometime, I got lovely sea views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!
      I sadly do not have a sea view here, I used to have, but moving 5 km inland changes that ;)

      And yes you have to read Sanderson

      Delete
  6. Good to hear it worked on its own with such a gap since reading the last

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love his books, i need to start this series

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I still haven't read any of his books...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a terrible fantasy fan. I've not gotten back into any of his books in years! Terrible me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *cross eyed* I think I followed your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of this author. Looks like a good series. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a while since I read Alloy of Law too, and I was worried that I had forgotten too much. But thankfully I was able to jump right in. I really enjoyed this book, but the conclusion was so heartbreaking!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I did not even think it was about the same peeps, oh memory. So yes so glad it worked for me then

      The end, the end! I need the next one

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Right! I forget things after a year *hangs head in shame*

      Delete
  14. I haven't read the others but I did read this one and really liked it! I need to read more of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not usually my type of read, but I've seen this one around and it does look like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't tried this series, but love his Reckoners series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh, I started Mistborn and read a couple of volumes and then ... what the heck happened?! I'm horrible at finishing series - thanks for the reminder, Linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. New to me! These sound fantastic. Must check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Surprisingly slim for a Sanderson book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been reading mixed reviews on this series...so I am unsure.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP