Thursday 4 January 2018

Sourdough - Robin Sloan

Lois Clary, a software engineer at a San Francisco robotics company, codes all day and collapses at night. When her favourite sandwich shop closes up, the owners leave her with the starter for their mouthwatering sourdough bread.

Lois becomes the unlikely hero tasked to care for it, bake with it and keep this needy colony of microorganisms alive.  Soon she is baking loaves daily and taking them to the farmer's market, where an exclusive close-knit club runs the show. 
When Lois discovers another, more secret market, aiming to fuse food and technology, a whole other world opens up. But who are these people, exactly? 

Paperback, 259 pages
Expected publication: January 4th 2018 by Atlantic Books
Fiction
For review

My thoughts:
I knew this one would be good cos it was a Robin Sloan book. To be fair, I have only read one by him, but I liked his style and he kept that. Page 1 showed me it was the same.

Lois is working, working and then working. That is her entire life. And then she orders soup and bread, and what a feast it is. Trust me, I really want to taste that soup and that bread now.

And then she gets a starter. And now I want one! My very own starter, I mean, how cool wouldn't that be to make, to keep on feeding, to have for my own bread. Though I can't say I know anyone who has ever made one.

Suddenly her life is bread. There is a market place of wonders and a tale told of the yeast starter's history.

It is just the way it is told. SO serious. SO funny. So remarkable. So magical. So normal. He is a great writer and I fall into this world and comes out of wanting a yeast starter of all things.

Conclusion
Great one

Cover
eh

34 comments:

  1. I keep hearing good things about this book - I need to grab a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like I'd be hungry while reading :D Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very good and that is an interesting cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not tried this author, but you have me wanting to grab this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caring for starter sounds like a lot of work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gluten-free bread I like most for my morning toast is a buckwheat sourdough bread, so there's starter involved with it.

      Delete
  6. Yummmm your review made me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never heard of this one, but you have piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read Robin Sloan. I kind of want to though, after reading this review :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like him, there is a nice wit to it all

      Delete
  9. It's on my GR tbr list. Sounds perfect to fit between a couple of "serious" books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned about sourdough starter when I lived in Seattle Washington. I guess there's something about the weather out West that makes the best sourdough.

    A friend of mine was given starter and she bakes pecan rolls every Christmas from it.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, see I did not know that! Omg I so wanna make one

      Delete
  11. I've got to read this! I love Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore when I read it, so I'm not sure why I haven't picked this up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked Penumbra's. And soup and bread- yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this author before but this sounds really good. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a Book of the Month Club choice recently. It sounded so strange...and now I am intrigued again. Also, I would love a slice of sourdough bread. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm bread! I could NOT live without bread

      Delete
  15. I've not heard of this author before. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a starter that I'm kind of obsessed with so I have to read this! I'm still too nervous to actually bake a loaf of sourdough but I've been baking other things with it. I haven't read anything by him so I feel this and Mr. P's bookshop are both in my future soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg you have!?!?! So jealous! And you have to try and make sourdough then :)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP