Saturday 6 January 2018

Saturday Movie Night: A Quiet Passion


Hello everyone! This month Carole and I are reviewing, A Quiet Passion. 

I am in red and Carole in black. 

Title:  A Quiet Passion
Genre: Drama
Running Time: 2 hours and 5 mins
Rating: PG-13
Released: 2016

The story of American poet Emily Dickinson from her early days as a young schoolgirl to her later years as a reclusive, unrecognized artist.


TRAILER:


DISCUSSION: 
Hello!

Oh , you are here already?! Lol, I remember last time.

LOL! Yessss. Hopefully we don’t have a repeat of the issues I had last month. That was brutal for suuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee. So? Are you excited? Our first movie review in a while!

Hell, yeah! We are starting of with a bang! BOOM! OMG. The quietest movie of all time. LOL

Yess...yesss. This was not the most active movie ever. I had to watch this in two sittings because I couldn’t stay awake the first half.

I watched it in two also, but only cos Baby S needed a nap. But I honestly do not know if I could have taken 2 HOURS! Of that in one sitting. I mean, 2! Were they trying to kill us?

This did NOT need to be 2 hours long. Heck...I think they were trying to kill us. There was not enough material in her life for 2 hours. They skipped over the Civil War part of her life which I am assuming would’ve been more...entertaining?

There are good movies that I feel are too long at 2, and this, omg….her life was not that exciting. And yes like you said at least the War would have brought some action into play. But it was more Ok, there is a war going on. Sad how many died. The end. Sigh. Ok so that was meant to kill us then. Noted.

She was a good writer, but her life was so boring because she secluded herself. I did enjoy her wittiness. She had a talent for it. But ugh. Just not a subject that needed 2 hours.

If I had been the editor there, cut cut cut! Instead we got 2 hours of her drinking tea and talking. The entire movie taking place in the house and yes once we saw the garden and road.

Oo! Don’t forget...we saw her in school for just a minute and then her father whisked her away back to the house and there we stayed. I would’ve loved to see her friend’s story. I can’t remember her name...but the bitchy one who got married and Emily fell apart because she was convinced getting married was the same as dying? I liked that lady. She was fun.

Bitchy lady was my hero! I would have loved a movie about her. Dang that wit of hers, and the things she said. In that time! You go girl!

She certainly kept Emily on her toes. I think Emily needed someone like that to keep her in line. Maybe if the friend was able to stick around more than Emily might’ve made it out of the house and enjoyed life.
Though we never got any notion of a time frame so for me it felt like everything happened in a year. SO  when did her friend leave? When did Emily die? Who knows? Sigh again, a boring life she led. Pretty poems she wrote. Alas, all things must come to an end, an end that should not take 2 hours.

I did some research while watching (I was that bored). And the movie spans yearsssssssssss, but it honestly felt like and looked like maybe 5 years. It just all was boring. I enjoyed the poems she would read out loud. I like her poetry. Ooo! I also really liked the scene when Emily caught her brother cheating on his wife. That made me laugh. Hahaha Emily destroyed them verbally.

The poems were nice and the beautiful way they talked. There was joy in every word. I also did not get how her sister was so cool with what happened. He cheated! Ugh, asshole.

The sister annoyed me to no ends. She was like Jane from PP but on steroids. “YOU DON’T KNOW THEIR SOULS!!! EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES!” >_>

Silly woman! He wanted some action since his wife was dead in bed, or so assume since she told Emily that she had not wanted to marry. That does not mean you should cheat man! Poor woman.

Oh yes. I remember that. Ugh. Still no excuse to cheat. I hate how the demonized marriage and love and etc in this. Why did Emily think marriage was a death sentence? You really want to be shackled to your parents forever?? Forever sneaking writing at 3 am so you don’t upset your father??? In your OWN home you can what you want. I just couldn’t wrap my head around her feelings on the subject.

She would have had to find a man who was cool with it, but then search! I am sure you could have found one. There had to be ONE good man on the planet who was cool with his wife writing poems. Instead she wrote at 3 AM and was happy about it. Sure Emily, keep telling yourself that. Keep telling yourself that it’s awesome to belong to your dad and then your brother.
Oh and she did have that weird fascination with the ugly priest, sorry priest, but you were not pretty. Her sister was all he is so handsome and I expected someone like that and then...no.

He was not pretty at all. But yes. There has to be ONE dude in town. But locking yourself up in your room until you die is not a way to find a man. There was that one guy who liked her but she refused to say hello. She just insulted him and he left. Sighs. I think she was convinced she would be happier alone or something. Goodness knows. That is fine to be happy like that, but don’t rain on everyone’s parades when they declare they are to marry or want to marry.

Oh yes that dude! She should have married him for sure. But Emily liked being a recluse, oh well.

To each their own, I guess. But yes. This should’ve just been an hour TV show special or something. Not enough material in her life since she was a recluse and died a painful death. WHICH that scene bothered me. Like seriously...ouch. Knock her out or something.

One hour, 25 min, show us some war scenes. Hey show us a church scene! Anything except that house. They went on how good the pastor was so I was all, show me! And then the end. And let her die with a little dignity

I think the writer was convinced that since this movie is about Emily we have to follow Emily the ENTIRE time. No...I would’ve liked some scenes outside of the house and maybe getting an outsiders view on her. Someone unbiased would’ve added so much more to the story honestly.

Or show us how her brother hooked up with his new lady love, or wife for that matter. But nope, Emily Emily Emily.

Yes, the writing needed some editing for sure. The actors were okay. Emily did well as a recluse, tortured, writer of poetry.

Aye, they all did well. But it was a movie in need of some serious editing. Or they just wanted to show us how dull her life really was. And you did it! Congrats.

Congrats. It made me appreciate that I am not a recluse and I get out of my room. BUT I prolly won’t be remembered...so I guess Emily wins in the end. HAHAHAHA

That she does. The end?
Not to be recommended.


I do not recommend it either... unless you are a serious Emily fan and then hack at it. So yes, I believe that is the end :)


22 comments:

  1. First, I have to say that I love, love, love the way you reviewed this! It's so fun, and I could actually see you doing this as a PODcast or sharing it via YouTube. Just brilliant! This is probably not one I'd not check out though. Thanks for such a great review and Happy Saturday! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your review of this one, I am pretty sure this movie wouldn't be one I would want to go to. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There has to be one dude who could handle the poetry! Ah, well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! ONE, but she did not even look, instead she was all, I will become a recluse

      Delete
    2. She didn't even make the attempt. Sighs

      Delete
  4. Yeah, the first thing I thought too when I saw what the movie was about was, "She was a recluse, how interesting could this be?!" Haha, glad to see I wasn't far off.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should've known better. School taught me this and I ignored the lesson. haha

      Delete
  5. You need a happy movie one of these times lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP