Wednesday 2 June 2021

Tender is the flesh by Agustina Bazterrica

Paperback, 221 pages


Published November 5th 2020 by Pushkin Press (first published November 29th 2017)


Original Title: Cadáver exquisito


Fiction Dystopian


Library





Well this was revolting, I love meat, but fake meat is great, just expensive. I would not go freaking insane and start eating people!




Animals carry a virus. People lose their minds and start eating each other. Well, we obviously need regulations. Let's breed people and then slaughter them! Veal, I mean kids are tasty. And we can hunt people too just like we did animals. Perfect plan! Omg, it was horrific and they even have a run through the plant at one time so we see every step. And they are all so used to it so they think it is normal, because they are not human after all, they are bred for a purpose.




But then it's not like they only eat the special meat (which is really expensive btw),no, sometimes when old people die they are sold for meat, and more. So anything goes. Meat is meat. And the kids growing up thinks this is normal. Wtf.


And Marcos, he seems to used to this, and over it, he does not even want meat anymore (well finally someone who can go vegan, I mean sheesh.) And then he gets a special present, to eat or sell.




This world is dark, and real in its madness. I mean who really got a virus. Because humanity is tainted. But it is easy to see how we would downgrade some, to make them not human anymore.




Good and horrific. Short too 





Working at the local processing plant, Marcos is in the business of slaughtering humans—though no one calls them that anymore.




His wife has left him, his father is sinking into dementia, and Marcos tries not to think too hard about how he makes a living. After all, it happened so quickly. First, it was reported that an infectious virus has made all animal meat poisonous to humans. Then governments initiated the “Transition.” Now, eating human meat—“special meat”—is legal. Marcos tries to stick to numbers, consignments, processing.




Then one day he’s given a gift: a live specimen of the finest quality. Though he’s aware that any form of personal contact is forbidden on pain of death, little by little he starts to treat her like a human being. And soon, he becomes tortured by what has been lost—and what might still be saved. 




23 comments:

  1. Ugh.. lost my internet connection when I tried to comment. Not sure if it came through. but ... no thanks! eep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what is very surprising, I've not seen a story like this before. That kinda shocks me. Also, don't eat meat from anything that dies of natural causes, we don't do that with animal meat and I can't imagine it is any healthier to do that with humans LOL. Wonderful review on a strange story.

    Melanie @ Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I know, yak, humanity when do hell

      Delete
  3. Wow I saw this somewhere else too, and was like WTF??!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of feel like I need to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, not what I expected! The description is pretty yikes :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I don't think I could read this. It does sound all kinds of revolting. I barely want to eat animal meat let alone human. Barf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes an horror story there

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, I can't, but still my horrid curiosity was piqued by your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what to expect. I was told to read it

      Delete
  9. I listened to the audiobook - OMG - so intense and disturbing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg the audio would have felt different for sure

      Delete
  10. I like books that push the limits so I am thinking that I might need to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP