Thursday 17 June 2021

The Irish princess by Elizabeth Chadwick

Paperback, 480 pages


Published April 16th 2020 by Sphere (first published September 12th 2019)


Historical fiction


Own





It has been ages since I read my last Chadwick! I wasn't a fan of he E of A books, so I stopped. But then I noticed a new one, and another new one, and I had to try again. I have missed her books, they are always filled with details and she brings out people you would never read about otherwise. And she really loves and excels at the 12th century.




Aoife is a princess of Leinster. And the Irish Kings keep fighting each other, then her family has to flee and end up in England. The choices her father does will doom Ireland, but then again, the English would have come sooner or later. Help us, and you can have some pieces of Ireland. Well thanks for that Diarmait! 




To get some English help, Aoife marries Richard de Clare. And it was here I started to know this family, it all came together. Their child would marry William Marshall. Quick fact, Isabel and William will have a bunch of sons who never manages to get any kids (except one daughter). It was said to be a Irish curse, spooky! But their male lines would die out. Ok I got off track, but this is what her books makes me do, google the shit out of everything.




She made me like Aiofe, and everyone else, ok maybe not the horny dog that was Henry II, or Richard's sister. But it is all fascinating, and I am so there in her books. At those battlefields, during the ordinary times.




Another winner from her.





Ireland, 1160


Aoife MacMurchada is just 14 years old when her father Diarmit, King of Leinster, is brutally deposed, and her family is forced to flee Southern Ireland into English exile. Diarmit seeks help from King Henry II, an alliance that leads him to the charismatic Richard de Clare, lord of Striguil, a man dissatisfied with his lot and open to new horizons.




Diarmit promises Richard wealth, lands, and Aoife's hand in marriage in return for his aid, but Aoife, has her own thoughts on the matter. She may be a prize, but she is not a pawn and she will play the game to her own advantage.




From the royal halls of scheming kings, to staunch Welsh border fortresses and across storm-tossed seas to the wild green kingdoms of Ireland, The Irish Princess is a sumptuous, journey of ambition and desire, love and loss, heartbreak and survival.


16 comments:

  1. Oh yeah I also definitely love a book that makes me google, google, google :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so good. I must read more

    ReplyDelete
  3. One I'd read, I haven't read any of the authors work but I'd be drawn by this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this author, but this would totally be something I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen her books around forever and need to pick up one. I love when I can get immersed in the historical setting because the author really did their homework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need to try one of hers, and she really does her research

      Delete
  6. Haven't read this or the E of A yet but really love her books. Need to pick up her book soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you were able to get back into a beloved author after a bit of a break. Wonderful review.

    Melanie @ Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm... I've never read this author. But so glad you enjoyed this one after taking a break.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP