Saturday 16 October 2010

Review: Holly's Inbox - Holly Denham

Photobucket


Genre: Chick-lit
Pages: 736
Published: 2007

System alert: Inbox full of scandal, romance, and office hilarity!

Meet Holly Denham. It's her first day as a receptionist at a London investment bank and inexperienced Holly is struggling. How's a working girl supposed to have a love life with a demanding job, crazy friends, a dysfunctional family, and gossipy colleagues? Not to mention that Holly's been keeping a secret from everyone - and the past is about to catch up with her.

An affair with a sexy VP heats things up at the office, but when Holly's first flame (who, she thinks, left her in the lurch) gets a job at the same company, complications abound and Holly's inbox becomes a daily source of drama, laughter and scandal.


Could not post the pic using that pic box, grrrr, stupid blogger.

This book was fun, and don't be scared by those pages. Just cut it in half and you get a number closer to reality. This book was entirely made from emails, and some of those emails could be only a line, some a question mark. So when there are a few lines on a page, then you understand that you read it pretty fast. I read it quickly and when I was near the end I could not put it down, I had to know what would happen!

Holly is a receptionist, but of course she lied on her CV. She befriends the other receptionist, she meeds an old friend from school who works there, and she emails her two other best friends, Aisha who loves me, and Jason, who also loves men. She also emails her parents who moved to Spain, and her sister who also lives there and breeds snakes. Then there is her brother who is building a fetish club, and last, the guy she meets while working.

I was unsure about this format, I am sure most were, but it worked. I got to know her through emails, she emails a lot and since they are not allowed to talk while at the reception they email each other. So a lot is happening that we later learn through emails. Fun idea that really works.

There is a new romance, there is an old fling to avoid and just trying to do the job right, since not all are that nice. Bit of drama then too, and not to forget, humour! Yes I giggled and that is what good chick-lit should do.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I prefer the US one
Final thoughts: Fun chick-lit, that in the end made me want to read the next one. Of course it could just as well have ended here, nice ending.

29 comments:

  1. This does sound like a cute book. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a cute chick-lit book. Oh, and yea... been having probs with blogger myself. Especially in Chrome which I find extremely ironic since they are both from Google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris
    It was :D

    Melissa
    Just like me, sometimes cute chick-lit just does the trick.
    bad bad blogger, I got so annoyed so just went HTML on that pic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the email format of the book. Haven't read it yet but have read a lot of good reviews - yours included. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! It was one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review :) I read the second one and thought it was really fun!! it was way deeper than i thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard good things about this one, I want to read it.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if I would like a book in email format...

    but it works?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sweetie,

    Sorry I've been MIA...lots happening over here and hard to get computer time.

    This books sounds like a sweet one...a cute read for sure.

    Big hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary
    It was fun, and different. I was very unsure, even though I have read a book in letter format before, but still

    Yvonne
    So fun, and I really want to read that next book

    Carrie
    Great to hear, I just love silly books, and want that one now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Naida
    I do think I would recommend it :)

    Mandi
    It really did work, I was so very unsure, and kept thinking no way, but then it started and everything fell into place

    Hi hawk
    Happy to see you around, and that's ok, life gets busy sometimes. I hope you had a good weekend

    Linda
    *nods* It was :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you liked this one too! So fun to see a different cover for it! I like this cover, it gives the feel for the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved it too and you're so right about cutting the pages in half!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Blodeuedd, I was just poppin in to see how you are doing and how things are going with you?!?! I hope all is well and I hope you and bf had a great weekend honey!! Hugs and kisses to you!!! Have a great Monday (if that can happen)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't encountered this style of writing before... maybe I ought to try it, it sounds fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amused
    It was so cute :) The cover is good, it does give that feeling, but the US one just looks so fun too

    Staci
    I was so scared at first but then I read it in no time at all

    Cecile
    Thanks hon! We had a lovely weekend, but we spent like 4 hours of it out walking, great workout :=)

    Cherry
    Something one should experience at least once :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds adorable. I've read other books that use this format (although not exclusively) and I think I wouldd be fine with it. Adding this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds really good, will have to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree -the format worked. I thought this book was loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute is sooo good from time to time. And yep I hate the new blogger pic thingie too. Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  20. Patti
    The entire thing, not one bit that was not an email. And I loved it :)

    Tribute
    I hope you will. It was so sweet and fun

    Bermuda
    I should never have doubted it, I mean I have read books in letter format before

    Susi
    It went all funky and basic Html'ish, I could not do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've seen a lot of love for this book. I really have to break down and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard lots of good things about this one, I'm glad you enjoyed it too. It's on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Buck
    Or what should I shorten this to :)
    But yes break down, and read it

    Teddy
    I am SO happy my library listened to me and got it, love you library :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to see you enjoyed this book as much as I did. I was surprised that the e-mail format worked so well, especially in terms of getting to know the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anna
    That was my concern, could I get under their skin, but I am happy to see it work

    ReplyDelete
  26. This seems like a good read. I've had it on my TBR list for a while now. Hopefully I'll get to it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. TBV
    I hope so too, cos it is different cos of that format :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP