Thursday 28 October 2010

Review: The Painted Man - Peter V Brent

US title: The Warded Man
Demon trilogy, book 1

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 480
Published: 2008

As darkness falls each night, the corelings rise.  For hundreds of years the demons have terrorized the night, slowly culling the human herd that shelters behind magical wards–symbols of power whose origins are lost in myth and mystery, and whose protection is terrifyingly fragile.

It was not always this way. Once, men and women battled the corelings on equal terms. But those days are gone. The fighting wards are lost. Now, with hope for the future fading, three young survivors of vicious demon attacks will dare the impossible, stepping beyond the the wards.

Arlen will pay any price, embrace any sacrifice, for freedom. Crippled by the demons that killed his parents, Rojer seeks solace in music.Beautiful Leesha, who has suffered at the hands of men as well as demons, becomes an expert healer.

Together, they will stand against the night.

Yes, it seems to be a fantasy week, what a lovely week it has been. This book wasn't scary, but the world was, and I would never even want to think of having to have to live there.

Plot:
Man has always had demons, but then magic was discovered and wards created to keep the demons away. Wars were fought, and the science emerged, the wards were lost and now so much is gone, and humankind is loosing. They hide behind their walls as the night comes and demons attack. fighting back is futile.

Arlen keeps wondering why they can't fight back and he becomes much more than he ever imagined. Because he know that if they don't fight back, the demons will win. There are also two other POVs in this book. Leesha who becomes a herb gatherer, and Rojer who becomes a jongleur. They are all important in this society. Arlen brings news, Leesha heals the dying and Rojer makes people forget about the pain.

My thoughts:
I liked Arlen and he grew up to be a very determined man, and when the book ended I kept wondering what happens next. Leesha, she had courage and she was smart. It's not an easy world to be a woman in. Rojer, well I will tell you soon.

The world was freaking scary, those demons, having to hide at night, hearing them howl, how could this possibly end? The world building was interesting, the ward magic and the structure of the society was good. Everything fit perfectly.

But the negative part of the book, Rojer, luckily his POV wasn't around as much because he frankly bored me. 

Even with that it's still a great book, and it might be the scariest fantasy world I have read about in a really long time.

Recommendation and final thoughts:
I'd recommend this to fantasy fans, I wasn't sure about the demons, but the moment I turned over page 1, I knew I had to have more.  I will definitely read book 2, it was a cool book, and because something happened at the end. It will turn even more interesting.

Cover thoughts: Dunno, but it does look better close up cos you can see wards on his face.


24 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure that I'd love this one! One intrigue me most is how scary the world really is. If the author manage to make readers scared with his writing, that is an indicator which says that he is indeed a great author. I am certainly going to buy this one. Thank you for your review =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in two minds about this one. I used to read plenty of such books but now I am somewhat less keen on them; of course if they are really very good I more often than not read them and enjoy them but if they are not as brilliant as I would like them to be I pass. I think I will wait for your review of the next part. Thanks for this one btw. I do like your more structured reviews better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good for Halloween season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this intrigues me. Fantasy keeps catching my eye lately, I'm going to have to check this one out. Nice review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my to-read list for a while. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! This sounds super creepy - I might be too scared!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shy
    You have to read it to really understand it, because so scary, and nothing helps. But still not a scary book, just s scary world, and some good action.

    Ana
    Thanks, I like them too, but then structure and me are buddies. I will keep this up.
    I am planning on reading that book next year since book 3 is out in the summer and I do not wanna wait to long for the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that sounds good! I need to find more fantasy books, haven't read much of those lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alyssa
    Didn't think about that but yes it was :=)

    FV
    Perhaps cos it's the best genre ever ;) Hihi. But yes do have a look at it

    Carol
    It was good, and the Rojer part were so few and short. Just didn't connect with him

    Melissa
    Just do not read it at night ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can tell by just the cover this is freaky. It's a good time of year to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elysium
    I do agree with that statement, more fantasy is always good

    Inked
    It sure is freaky, but it does set the tone

    ReplyDelete
  12. Second review of this book that loved it. I will have to add it to my wishlist! Great review. Didn't know it was on the scary side. Great for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow, those demons do sound scary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa
    It's not scary in the way that you get nightmares, it is just scary when you imagine having to have to live there. :)

    Thanks Yvonne

    Brizmus
    They were! Those poor people

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, this does sounds scary with all those demons. Maybe not a great book to read at night. lol! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nina
    Lol, perhaps not, but a great book at any other time of the day

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've been on a reading frenzy my dear!! ARe you ignoring your textbooks??? LOL!

    I like the sounds of this one. I'm going to read a fantasy book next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Staci
    *blushes*
    Well the course I have, not much to read and we worked in a group, but some more things to do now, still with it being so cold outside I soend more time inside ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was one of my favorite books that I read last year, and the sequel is even better. The author is also a great guy who really makes an effort to connect with his fans, which makes me appreciate his books even more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep debating on whether to pick this one up or not. I like the sound of it and your review definitely helped as well. I'll check it out

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simcha
    Glad to hear, I do appreciate authors like that more too :)
    The sequel..even better, oh, so want to read it now but should wait.

    Mishel
    I'd say pick it up, it was good, and creepy in a way

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your thoughts on this one..

    I love Brent's writing style - It didn't lag or even got boring - although a chunky book - it did held my interest..

    As for the scary world it felt like it was a challenge on the author part to see how intense(scary) he could make it..

    Will you be reading book two?

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  23. EH
    I will definetely be reading more, but I am choosing to wait. I had 2 options:
    1.read now and wait until summer (hate waiting!)
    2. Wait a few months, and then the wait for book 3 wouldn't be so long.
    Went with 2 :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP