Tuesday 19 October 2010

Review: Nalini Singh Silhouette x2 and a Mills and Boon

Bound by Marriage by Nalini Singh

Genre: Romance
Pages: 192
Published: 2007

How else to describe the pact Jessica Randall had made with wealthy New Zealand rancher Gabe Dumont? In exchange for marriage and an heir, he would save her family property. The agreement was calculating, completely devoid of any tenderness, just like the man himself.

Their relationship was supposed to be a simple arrangement. Instead, it was fraught with secrets and mistrust, jealousy and ultimatums--emotions that wouldn't allow her to maintain the distance she needed. Worse, the sizzling attraction between them made this marriage of convenience decidedly inconvenient.

I do like stories like this one. Gabe wants a wife and an heir, so he marries Jessica because she wants to save her ranch. No feelings attached, but we all know that can't last.

Jessica was hopelessly in love with an old friend of hers, that is married and his wife is expecting. Gabe knows this and is not happy about it. He was a force in himself, and I did like him. He melted slowly and his own hidden secrets slowly came into the light. While Jessica understood that perhaps that firs ...more I do like stories like this one. Gabe wants a wife and an heir, so he marries Jessica because she wants to save her ranch. No feelings attached, but we all know that can't last.

Jessica was hopelessly in love with an old friend of hers, that is married and his wife is excepting. Gabe knows this and is not happy about it. He was a force in himself, and I did like him. He melted slowly and his own hidden secrets slowly came into the light. While Jessica understood that perhaps that first crush isn't everything in the world. But they had some fighting to do before that. With each other and with themselves.

A sweet and short romance. Jealousy, secrets, and two people that share a great time in bed, but for some time that was all. What is there not to enjoy.



 Secrets in the Marriage Bed by Nalini Singh

Genre: Romance
Pages: 192
Published: 2006

EVERY MARRIAGE HAS ITS SECRETS

They were reconciling. That was all Caleb Callaghan could focus on when his estranged wife, Vicki, shared the news of her pregnancy. He was determined that this time their marriage would succeed, no matter what it took.

But was Vicki's price too high? She wanted more than his love and support...she demanded honesty between them, starting with his secrets. But there was something in Caleb's past he could not--would not--share. For the truth would only destroy them.

I was not sure about this one first. I am not a fan of a couple on the brink of divorce getting back together. But this one was different.

Caleb and Vicki has been married for 5 years and one day she left. Now she is back 3 months later and excepting his child so they are trying again. I slowly learnt what had gone wrong. Vicki had been rather cold in bed, because of how her grandmother raised her. She never gave much away. And Caleb was a workaholic and she felt he loved his firm more than her.

These two had some major issues to work out. First, better sex life, where both play. Second, trying to talk things out. What are they both hiding, what can't they say to each other?

A nice story about how a picture perfect marriage is not that perfect after all. They both loved each other but wanted more honesty and feelings in their relationship. 

The Italian's Cinderella Bride by Lucy Gordon

Genre: Contemporary romance
Pages: 192
Published: 2008

Italian count...English waif

In a flash of lightning, Count Pietro Bagnelli sees a young woman standing outside his palazzo, a battered suitcase at her feet. This solitary count has turned his back on the world, but he can't turn his back on this bedraggled waif....

Ruth has returned to Venice to uncover lost memories, yet finds comfort with this proudly damaged count. As Carnivale sweeps through the city, drama and passion ignite and secrets unravel.... 

Plot:
A woman standing in the rain is rescued by a Italian count who is morning his wife and lives almost alone in a big palace, yes only 2 servants, 2! *rolls eyes*

Hero:
A Venetian count with a tormented past. He rescues our heroine, is annoyed by her, and falls for her. Why? I do not know since she seems a bit insane, and is in love with his cousin.

Heroine:
A lost woman who is trying to get her life back on track. After a brutal attack she doesn't remember much. She comes in search of the man she loved. And she seems really crazy, say the least.

Liked:
Eh, a quick book. But the end was kind of good, and surprising in a way.

Disliked:
Well the heroine was just a bit to out of it. Also it kind of annoyed me that when she put on some make-up, a new dress, and got a new haircut everyone found her attractive. I guess that means she was not before then, and that women needs make-up. I guess I this time didn't go for the Cinderella story.

 

24 comments:

  1. I had no idea that Nalini had written category romances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so making me want to look up these old titles! LOL!

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...totally didn't know that Nalini Singh wrote for Silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I'm not a fan of the 'expecting his child' trope! So I better steer clear of the Desire books then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris
    I really should have know, from looking at her site, but my memory is not what it used to be, lol

    Lynette
    Go look up, perhaps one is even hiding somewhere in your house

    Jeannie
    She certainly did, it felt so strange reading them

    Janna
    Well it's not like those pregnant mistress, handsome billionaire ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is news to me. I didn't know that Nalini Singh wrote for Silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FV
    It feels like I am spilling Nalini's well hidden secret here

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these succinct reviews! It's so nice to be able to hear exactly what you though of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just one little thing: 'expecting', not 'excepting'. I got a little confused at the beginning, thought you'd intended 'accepting' i.e. the wife was accepting of the attraction, that he had a mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I wonder how many more of these she has? Looks like you may have created a few more fans in her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa
    They are nice to write too, I really should try to write my longer ones like this too.

    Dmum
    Thanks, a little mishap with the letters it seems, I really shouldn't write so fast. Oh and I seldom read what I have written either, so tedious.

    Melissa
    At least 2 more, I should go check :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG..Singh writes categories!!!

    *faints*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grat reviews. For some reason these Silhouette covers always turn me off. I dont know what it is about them. But I shouldnt judge a book by its cover anyway lol.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. These don't really sound like my kinda books, but those covers are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. My friend would love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ugh, i don't like the message the last one sends either. she doesn't need makeup and expensive clothes if she doesn't want them! great reviews. I didn't know singh wrote for harlequin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amused
    Lol, not so much, these books take like a few hours to read, and they are from al over the fall too. Saved them for one big post ;)

    Mandi
    It seems she did, she had this sheik book I think too, that sounded cool ;)

    Naida
    Have you noticed that it's teh same guy in both, freaky

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL I love your comments: he marries he, no feelings attached, but we know that can't last. I bet you could write a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. DC
    Lol, I would write an awesome romance book :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, a blast from the past! I read Singh's BOUND BY MARRIAGE a looooooonng time ago. My recollection on my thoughts are bit vague now but I think I found it mildly enjoyable. Definitely love her paranormals better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. VFG
    Lol, I am with you on that one, just give me changelings instead, though the convenient marriage was actually really good

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bought all Nalini's silhouette backlist a while ago. I read Bound by Marrigae and hated Gabe so much I haven't picked up another one. I really need to revisit them. I do love Nalini's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Review
    Oh, I actually kind of liked Gabe, dunno why, I guess cos he was tormented, don't I always

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP