Wednesday 6 October 2010

Review: Mr Darcy's Obsession - Abigail Reynolds

A Pride and Prejudice Variation

Genre: Historical/romance
Pages: 352
Published: October 2010 Sourcebooks Landmark

In this Pride and Prejudice variation, Elizabeth is called away before Darcy proposes for the first time and Darcy decides to find a more suitable wife. But when Darcy encounters Elizabeth living in London after the death of her father, he can't fight his desire to see and speak with her again...and again and again. But now that her circumstances have made her even more unsuitable, will Darcy be able to let go of all his long held pride to marry a woman who, though she is beneath his station, is the only woman capable of winning his heart?

I think it might be I who is obsessed with Mr Darcy, and this book is just just pure escapism.

In this one Mr Bennet died, the Collins' moved into the house, Jane married a shopkeeper to help out her family, and Elizabeth went to London to help with the Gardiner kids. Mr Darcy never proposed because Elizabeth left before he had time too. But Mr Darcy just can't her her out of his head. He sneaks around a bit and manages to meet her by "accident"  one day, and they start talking. Some women you just can't let go.

Oh this book sure held a few surprises here and there, concerning secondary characters. I loved it because I never saw them coming. Reynolds takes artistic freedom and changes things that happened and make this story hers. While keeping to the Austen vibe. Without saying to much the surprises include Lydia, Georgiana, and a new character you will meet. She manages well there.

There are also new people, Charlie, a kid living on the street, and here Darcy does show his heart later on. Aunt Augusta who says what she wants, and Lord Derby, Darcy's uncle and a jackass. And of course there is Bingley, the Gardiners, and Jane.

I liked how Darcy sneaked around in this one and wanted to see Elizabeth and making it seem like total accidents. He just couldn't let go, and he was also a gentleman. She does fall, but of course there is that big Wickham hurdle to overcome. There is romance, aww, and a lot of drama with certain characters. I am sure you can guess who will cause the biggest scandal.

What I liked the most were the surprises, I just could not guess certain things. In some variations it's pretty easy and you know who will marry who, even with all those I have read. But this one brings something new. And as a Variation obsessed woman I enjoyed this book.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Sweet
Reason for reading: From the publisher
Final thoughts: I always loved that he never gives up and wants her even though society frowns upon it.

3,25

24 comments:

  1. Who isn't obsessed with Mr. Darcy? This book sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bloody well obsessed with Darcy haha truly, I am. This sounds like a brilliant book, and I'm always interested in a continuation of the original story that doesn't ruin the characters...brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continue to be boggled by all the P&P variations out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review B!

    Like Chris, I'm amazing by all the variations and "spin offs" of P&P it's amazing!

    Thanks for sharing B..

    Best
    L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like a terrific spin off of P& P!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get enough of these books, though I recently traded my obsession with Darcy for an obsession with Captain Wentworth. LOL Glad to see you enjoyed it. I really like Reynolds' takes on P&P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as they end up together in the end, I would read this. I can't go for one where they don't. :)

    Ah, Mr. Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bermudaonion
    Lol, yes every woman on the planet sure is

    Melissa
    Haha, welcome to the club, we Darcy obsessed people must stick together :)
    I can read variation after variation and it's just as fun, but as you say as long as they don't ruin it- That has happened and those were fails.

    Chris
    It's a crazy world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lea
    It's so much fun, and I hope that they soon make more than just PP, there are sure books out there already, but I could take a few Persuasion ones

    DC
    It was, and some real scandals in it too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna
    Reynolds is really good, I truly want to read that book she wrote...something about, oh must check.
    Anyway Wenthworth, ahhh, want to read it :)

    Melissa
    That would be absolutely horrible if they didn't end up together. So horrible. I am glad it doesn't happen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one is so going on my list! Yes, I think you've went off your rocker for sure with Mr. Darcy but that is all good in my book!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one is on my list. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. heheehe!! so darcy had it planned the whole time!! this looks like a great austen spin off

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the authors fresh perspective on this novel! I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Staci
    Haha, yes I have, I just can't get enough, I am hopelessly addicted to these books

    Yvonne
    And Darcy is so wonderful in it, just s the should be

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carrie
    He is one sneaky devil, but then it was for a good cause, just to see her, ahhh

    Svea
    Very fresh, and since I have read many, some things were surprising and that is good

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so didn't know about this one. I've read another of her adaptations that I liked. I'm getting this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great review! I've seen this one around and wondered if it was any good or not. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, I think I would love this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lyntte
    Oh was it To Conquer Mr darcy? Cos that one was fun :)

    Michelle
    Congrats on the book again :)
    And yes it was a nice book, the surprises were the best part

    AMused
    Hihi, good

    ReplyDelete
  21. This does sound like fun! I'll put it on the list and see what happens.

    Great review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lis
    Oh cool, you made an account :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. sounds good, great review.
    I'm definitely obsessed with Mr. Darcy :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Naida
    Hihi, most women seems to be ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP