Tuesday 3 July 2012

Review: The Darkest Day - Britt Bury

First of all I want to introduce you to my new guest reviewer! *applauds* Rameau!


Intro:

I'm a Finnish girl who'll try anything once, at least. Having said that, there are certainly few genres that rise above others in my affections. I like all things historical, romantic, murder mysteries, and fantasy. The more I read, the pickier I get with my favourites but I'm easily entertained as long as the story is good and on the plotty side. I only complain about technicalities such as grammar and poor characterisations when they prevent me from enjoying the story.
Picture credit goes to http://robbie1328.deviantart.com/ for the vector and to http://twitter.com/#!/goldenhair2 for the rest.


She will hopefully take on a few ebooks for me, so do send those requests and perhaps she will find something to her liking :) But first a book she got from NG:

------------------------------------------------


Review:
This might be a case of mislaid expectations. I was hoping for a paranormal with romance and erotica on the side, not an erotica with romance and paranormal on the side. But that's what I got. When the main couple wasn't having sex they were thinking about sex instead of things that normal individuals think about. Like survival.

There was a lot of promise there. I like the idea of an alternative world where humans have become extinct and immortals, demons, vampires, and such rule the earth. I like the idea of following different clans and watching their family feuds evolve. I like the idea of a rich and complex world-building with endless adventures and pairings--on the side.

All the plot points were hit, all the beats in the character arcs were hit, I just didn't like how the tune was played. I didn't like the excessive use of words female and male as substitutes for woman and man nor did I like how the Scottish accent was implied with a no. I don't like the overtly done eroticism that appears shallow without any real character development shown during the story arc.

Bury's writing style isn't for me. I prefer a subtler touch. I prefer heavier emphasis on the plot and showing the action. Internal monologues are important in the sense that they're the window into a character's mind, but I've always preferred houses with smaller window to all-glass houses. And I happen to think that whatever windows the author offers should only confirm what can be inferred from the garden of the text.

I might be too harsh referring to Izel as a too stupid to live or a vapid, insipid diva and ingenue heroine, but I can't help it. While I appreciated the fact that she didn't go down without a fight and just let Kelvin carry her to the Kerr Castle, the manner in which she kept showing her independence was the most inane way possible. It was like she didn't have a sense of self-protection or survival.

She's told that she's human and that anyone within a paranormally enhanced scenting distance can smell her, and what does she do? She goes gallivanting in town. Admittedly she had magical help to disguise herself, but nowhere was it said how long or how thoroughly the effects would last. This and the handling of her change in the beginning made me think the author hadn't thought through Izel's reactions to her newly found humanity. Bury was trying but couldn't quite nail it.

As a character Kelvin, the Pookah, Kerr had more promise, but unfortunately his good qualities were of the one track mind quality. I like my men, fictional and real, more complex than that.

This book also suffers from being the first in a series and the setting up syndrome that comes with it. While I could appreciate getting to know Ian and Ryo, most of the information they provided could have been explained elsewhere.

The ending that either makes or breaks it, this time only saved the three star rating. It was predictable in its outcome but managed to surprise me in the details. There were too many tears throughout, but it would have been truly a sweet moment, if only I'd cared about the characters.

I received an Advanced Readers Copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.


Series:        Immortal Heat #1
pages:         (ebook) 300 according to Goodreads
Title:          The Darkest Day
Publisher:   Grand Central Publishing
Imprint:       Forever Yours
Pub Date:    July 03, 2012
ISBN:         9781455523290
Source:       NetGalley ARC (Advanced Readers Copy)



32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I wish I'd had a stronger opinion for my opening review for Blodeuedd, though.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rameau! *waves*
    Sorry this wasn't your cup tea! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. And yes, I'm sorry too. It had the potential, but unfortunately the execution didn't work for me.

      Delete
  3. LOL! Who would want to think of something silly like survival when you can think about sex?! *snorts*

    Welcome, Rameau! I can already tell I'm going to enjoy your review a whole lot! Thanks for this entertaining one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Silly me for thinking that surviving an encounter with demons from hell or a worse dimension should come before sex.

      You're welcome, and thank you for the compliment. Let's see if I can live up to it.

      Delete
  4. welcome Rameau!

    Well I totally understand your feelings about this book. I didn't know this one but I think it's now for me either. But you're right the idea was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend you buy it straight off, but I'm not saying you shouldn't give it a chance in the library either... if you happen to like reading the word female over and over again.

      Seeing as this is my first review here, I'd invite you to peruse my Goodreads shelves and see if my tastes are something you can agree with. I am rameau there too, and my blogger profile has a link to my Goodreads page.

      And thank you for the warm welcome.

      Delete
  5. Hello Rameau!

    Oh I think I could handle it until you got to the TSTL heroine. Oh those bug me to no end. But then again, she was thinking about smex, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'ello, Melissa.

      I can't help it, I like smart characters whether they're women or men. I happen to think that a good book–-erotica or not–-makes me think and want to read the sex without constantly throwing it at my face.

      Delete
  6. Hi Rameau! I'm sorry that this ebook was not to your liking. To be honest, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea either. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your next ARC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Rameau! I look forward to reading your reviews.
    This book definitely does not sound like it's for me. it drives me crazy when characters are in a deadly situation and all they do is flirt with each other and think about sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The actual action scenes with the threats were pretty well handled, but it didn't feel like a priority for the author either. Kelvin wasn't listing the ways to kill a demon--he had only one plan--but he was thinking about how much Izel meant to him after only few hours of travelling together.

      Delete
  8. Loved your review!! I really learned alot about the book but not too much. I like erotica but as an added bonus to a book , not the whole book based around that alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a fine line everyone has to dance on, how much is too much.

      When I'm in the mood for erotica, I'll read it, but generally I prefer the focus on the plot. I have a vivid--read off colour--imagination. I can add the bawdy bits in there just fine on my own.

      Delete
  9. Hi Rameau, I hope you will feel at home in this lovely castle! A very nice and well-written review btw and no, this book is so totally NOT FOR ME it might come with an appropriate badge, small wonder Blodeuedd had to find another victim...ehem...volunteer to read and review that. I like your new avatar very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Ana. Thank you and I hope so too. This book was actually my idea and I have no one to blame but myself.

      This might not suit your tastes but I have a couple of other books in mind you might be interested in. I'll tell you later when I have time to read them.

      I like the avi too, though, it's misleading. My glasses are actually red. :P

      Delete
    2. Oh, you can always buy a new pair of glasses. Or photoshop your avi a bit ;) and turn them red.

      You know, reading your review for the second time, I think I know why the humans in this novel were almost extinct. It's simple - too much sex with supernaturals can kill anybody off, especially if you have a weak heart. Remember KMM and those death-by-sex fairies? ;p

      Others books which might suit my tastes? *Ana is pricking her ears* Sounds very nice!

      Delete
    3. Actually, no, I don't remember. Darkfever is still on top of my tbr-shelf, but the fey don't exactly scream a "must read" to me.

      Delete
  10. I don't think I would be reading this book then... I've had enough of too stupid to live heroines...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately they seem to be the norm rather than an exception.

      Delete
  11. Hi, Rameau! Well-executed and thoughtful review! At least the book redeemed itself somewhat in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Considering I was hoping to give it a higher rating at one point, I'm not sure how much the ending actually redeemed.

      Delete
  12. Hi Rameau, great to see you here! And thanks for the great review, I really enjoyed it. Also, thanks for the warning that this is mostly about sex, which means it won't make my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm still absurdly lazy with blog stuff, but I'll try to reply to comments at least on my own reviews.

      Somebody has to plough through all the sex and save the rest. I'm always ready to volunteer.

      Delete
  13. Oh nice review rameau! Like you I like a more subtle approach to things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a bit of an acquired taste, isn't it? You can only read so much heavy-handed writing until you start to crave for something gentler and more eloquent.

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP