Thursday 19 July 2012

Review: The Night Beat - Gini Koch

The Night Beat by Gini Koch
The majority of Prosaic City’s residents don’t know that their town exists on top of another place -- Necropolis, City of the Undead. For the most part, the two planes of existence manage to remain separate. And when they don’t, Necropolis Enforcement has beings in place to ensure the general human population remains blithely clueless.

Victoria Wolfe is more than just a policewoman. She’s an undercover werewolf assigned by Necropolis Enforcement to work Prosaic City Police’s Night Beat. Victoria’s comfortable working the shift where all the weird comes out to play, especially since her partner is also her perfect man. Or would be, if Victoria could ever work up the nerve to tell him she isn’t like other girls.

It’s hard enough being a werewolf in disguise, but when a creature from the Depths of Hell shows up in an alley preferred by junkies, bums, and hookers, it’s going to take more than just Victoria’s special gun and werewolf skills to subdue the ancient Sumerian demon. Especially when the demon is merely the start of what appears to be a major takeover attempt by the Prince of Darkness. Soon all of Necropolis Enforcement’s Undead Brigade is involved in the fight to stop the Prince’s Major Minions from taking over Prosaic City and the rest of the human plane. In other words, it’s just another day on the Night Beat.

My thoughts:
What to say about this book without giving it all away? Honestly some weird-ass stuff going on in this one. Trust me, I mean, wow, I'd like to dish it all out, but I can't, some things have to be read and I can tell one thing, you are in for one freaky ride.

Vic, is our snarky witty main character, she always have something good to say. Her love life on the other hand, not so good, she has been pining for her hot partner for a year now. Jack, a human, while Victoria is a werewolf. Two cops that are very different indeed from each other. But he is a nice guy. You need friends when all hell is breaking loose. And I liked them both.

Then we have a bunch of side characters and I am not even gonna name them cos you will meet them in time. A fun bunch, good guys, evil creepy baddies, yes this book has them all. Honestly I liked everyone. The bad baddie, so bad and creepy. You have to like a baddie that repulse you just by reading about it.

Yes I am not saying much at all. Gini twists and turns this book around several times. The pace is always high as they hunt down whatever has come to town. We meet beings, all kinds of beings. There is fighting, there is romance, witty banter and the trademark that is Koch, crazy stuff going down.

Conclusion:
That is what I liked about this book, the humor, the not having to take anything seriously. This book is insane, that is what it is, and it's a great thing. It's pumped up UF and humor blended in that creates one cool cocktail. And the best, surprises around every corner.

Series: Necropolis Enforcement Files #1
Genre: urban fantasy
Pages: 453 (paperback)
Published: July 2012
Source: Review



52 comments:

  1. ooo, sounds like my kind of thing, Blodeuedd! ;) Thanks for a tip and for an awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it is an insane ride that is funny! FOR THE WIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes and insane and funny ride..crazy crazy stuff

      Delete
  3. I have this on my tbr list but must admit I've been unsure about it. Your review makes me glad it's waiting for me. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope that when you finally get to it then you will enjoy it :)

      Delete
  4. I like a freaky read every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo this sounds good-in a crazy and strange way, and I like that bout it! Also, I live for snarky characters, so that alone is enough to make me want to read this one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So crazy and so much i wanted to say, but this is a book you have to read and get surprises around every corner

      Delete
  6. I like her wolf shadow on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *headdesk* I did not see that

      Delete
    2. You know me, I have to give you a rough time about the covers. ;p

      Delete
    3. I am so bad! I looked at it and thought guy in the background. Omg I suck! But hey I can blame it on reading this as an ebook ;)

      Delete
  7. sold..your cryptic review has me itching to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Honestly some weird-ass stuff going on in this one." - SOLD! You have the. best. way of putting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am glad you think so, I just have to say it like I see it, not so pretty always

      Delete
  9. Weird ass stuff sounds very intersting! I love tons of plot twists and add in banter and snark, this should be lots of fun. I have not seen this book before and I am sure it would be loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's new :) very new. And weird..very weird, lol. But in the best possible way

      Delete
  10. Hm, I enjoy a book with some good humor and a mc with something to say.
    thanks for review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humour can be soooo good :D I needed it

      Delete
  11. lol, weird-ass stuff! :) Who doesn't love weird-ass stuff? I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm..it's summer so a new Gini Koch book might be something for me. Good humour always wins me over, even if it is a PNR. And thanks for spotlighting my poor little blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your poor tiny blog, so little, so, what was I talking about? See you got strange B out to play.
      Of course I have to spotlight your awesome blog :D (that is real B who is back)

      Delete
  13. I like strange and freaky... aka weird ass stuff... so I might have to try this one. I'm so bummed though about the cover. Where is my fave cover artist cover since I associate her books with him? Dan Dos Santos... WHY didn't you do this cover??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because Gini published this book herself..I think..yes. so no Santos :/

      Delete
  14. Oooo! I like human/not human pairing. It always makes this much more interesting. And Weird Ass stuff is my favorite. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird ass stuff rules :)
      And I like that too, it mixes things up

      Delete
  15. This is new author for me and this sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. insane, if done right, can be an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds good and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of the font color but everything else is nice

      Delete
  18. Oh! I didn't know about this series. Guess what...on the WANT list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sneaked up on me too and I had to read it

      Delete
  19. Great review B, I am so looking forward to reading this myself. But tell me, zombies or no zombies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I said everything I mean everything so yes there are zombies here too. But like with all things you are either nice or evil

      Delete
  20. Oh I didn't know this book, I have the two first books of her other Alien series to read. But now I'm really intrigued, I like to have a new UF book like that. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read her alien series at once! You must read it! So funny and weird

      Delete
  21. Sounds like a good one, kind of a UF version of the mysteries I seem to be stuck on lately.

    Carol's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you have read a lot of those lately :)

      Delete
  22. I have this one but haven't read it, I think I need to move it up in my never-ending TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So which rock have I been hiding that I missed this one?!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haven't read anything by this author, but you got me with humour and insane lol

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP