Thursday 12 July 2012

Review: The Silent Touch of Shadows - Christina Courtenay

The Silent Touch of Shadows
Professional genealogist Melissa Grantham receives an invitation to visit her family’s ancestral home, Ashleigh Manor. From the moment she arrives, life-like dreams and visions haunt her. The spiritual connection to a medieval young woman and her forbidden lover have her questioning her sanity, but Melissa is determined to solve the mystery.

Jake Precy, owner of a nearby cottage, has disturbing dreams too, but it’s not until he meets Melissa that they begin to make sense. He hires her to research his family’s history, unaware their lives are already entwined. Is the mutual attraction real or the result of ghostly interference?

A haunting love story set partly in the present and partly in fifteenth century Kent.

My thoughts:
At once I knew, this could not end well. Ok so not for Melissa, but the other story. If there is a ghost there can't be happiness and I raced to see what had happened. What made the ghost a ghost?

The book is two stories in one. First we have Melissa, a single mother trying to get by. A history lover (and this made me like her even more) who goes to live with an aunt. And yes in a spooky big house. I should also mention a nice neighbor who is a widower ;) A sexy neighbor.

Then there is the story set in the past. During the War of the Roses a young woman falls in love, but he is not meant for her. I really liked this story even I knew there could not be happiness. But I wanted to know what happened, why the ghost is around. Also the setting for it was nice. Even if I guessed something would happen it was not a sad book, it was just meant to happen and I liked the idea of seeing memories from the past. I always loved that idea ever since I read my first book dealing with it. 

The sad and past mingled with each other, and Melissa tried to solve the mystery.

Conclusion:
A good lovestory that gives you a bit more than the usual things. It's not romance, it's passion, hope and despair. And of course, happy endings. 

Genre: Fiction / historical fiction /romance
Pages: 323
Published: July by Choc Lit
Source: For review
 Amazon UK Amazon US


53 comments:

  1. hmm, i do like ghosts in stories, but i don't like stories that don't end well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is a ghost, you know already that it did not end well for that ghosts. But all is still well in the end

      Delete
  2. Hmm. The cover doesn't seem that relevant to the story. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unsure what to think about the cover. In a way it fits cos it looks eerie

      Delete
  3. Awww the HEA but why did it have to end badly for the ghost :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I can't say but the ghost is haunting the place for a reason

      Delete
  4. I enjoy ghost stories but have decided I don't like ghostly romances, they aren't going to end well. I am glad after all your concern over sadness and unhappy outcomes that this ended up being a HEA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like those either, I mean come on a ghost and a living person? Strange. Luckily that is not the case here

      Delete
  5. This sounds good but I'm not sure about the ghost thing. But could be interesting to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not worry, it's not about the ghost, it's about the present and the past

      Delete
  6. I love intertwined stories like that and I think the cover of that book is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice one but I don't believe in ghosts. Only in poltergeists ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really like reading books in which a present story line parallels another one in the past. For some reason this just doesn't appeal to me, so I probably won't read this book though it does sound like it might be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get that, sometimes it just gets really messy

      Delete
  9. Well, first... it's a Melissa. How could you NOT like her?? Seriously? ;)

    Sounds like a fun read. Nothing too major, but entertaining nonetheless.... plus... Melissa! 'nuff said. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ;)
      Yes of course, it's Melissa, I mean duh, I had to like her at once when I met her.

      Delete
  10. What? No happiness? That's so sad. I need my HEAs. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds beautiful and fun to read...

    Short Poems

    ReplyDelete
  12. poor ghostie!
    sounds really good though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds good; I like how you get to read the ghost's story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like that cos I really like the era

      Delete
  14. I like the sound of this book. I didn't know this one. It's always interesting to have a family manor, it's intriguing. And well if you add ghosts, I'm sure it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A family manor do need a ghost or two, to truly make it old ;)

      Delete
  15. This sounds good and a little different. I like the premise and the multiple elements. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it works so well here, sometimes, not so much, but here she managed

      Delete
  16. I must read this. I love ghost stories. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A new one to me ... I like the sound of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL! I have to say at the beginning of your review I thought you were talking about Melissa (Books&Things) LOL! I thought the book was going to have a traditional Blodeuedd death ending (being ghosts and all) and Melissa wasn't going to get her HEA book! LOL!! I'm dumb. LOL. But I caught on in the next paragraph. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Oh how confusing I can be :D Poor melissa, maybe I should write a flash now with a good old HEA

      Delete
  19. Oooh, I already love the setup. Single mom & handsome neighbor. And then the tragic love story in the past. Yes, that's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always need a handsome neighbor ;) They always seem to come in handy in the end

      Delete
  20. Sounds like it has a little bit of everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like an intersting read! I like the idea of a dual narrative going on.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too and it took me back to a Barbara Erskine book i read long ago

      Delete
  22. This is the sort of review that gets people talking - and makes me want to read the book. I'm glad you haven't given too much away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I never do, well try not to :) And yes a book that gets people talking is the best

      Delete
  23. I wonder what is the drive to solve the mystery puzzle? Is it between life and death or just curiosity which killed the cat? Or a fight for happiness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive is that the ghost is simply annoying ;)

      Delete
  24. Thank you very much for this lovely review, Blodeuedd, I'm so glad you enjoyed the story! And thank you to everyone else for the great comments :) All my books always feature a HEA because that's what I like myself - the one for the ghost is just a little bit different! (Don't want to give it away :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the sound of this. Reminds me of an older book i read with a similar theme. Green Darkness by Seton. thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anya Seton? I know one book by her .)

      Delete
    2. Yes Anya Seton. It was pretty good. Dated but interesting story. I have her Katherine book to read as well.

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP