Wednesday 15 October 2014

An English Ghost story - Kim Newman

A dysfunctional British nuclear family seek a new life away from the big city in the sleepy Somerset countryside. At first their new home, The Hollow, seems to embrace them, creating a rare peace and harmony within the family. But when the house turns on them, it seems to know just how to hurt them the most—threatening to destroy them from the inside out. 

My thoughts:
I liked this. It was not HORROR, but it was indeed horror. Now what do I mean with that? It was more subtle, and it grew and grew until I was all, I sure hope my house is not haunted 0_0

A dysfunctional family, wait a moment. I just have to say that this family should have been in family therapy and the parents should have gotten a divorce. Toxic! Anyway, the family wants to move, to improve their relationship and then they see the house. See there it starts, the subtle strangeness. They freaking love the house, they want to marry the house and dance around it singing. And the house feels it.

We have a mother who was dependent on a friend. A father who wanted to rule. A sister with an eating disorder. And a son who plays soldier. But everything changes. The house is amazing, they are all happy. They eat pancakes and smile. But, the house knows. The house is watching, and there are ghosts playing around.

Slowly we see that there is something going on. Things move on their own. And as the family realizes this, everything starts to fall apart. It goes from happy to chilly to creepy. Subtle...English. Because sometime it's you who are the dark one.

Conclusion:
A nice ghost story :)

Cover
Ok for a ghost story


Paperback, 400 pages
Published October 7th 2014 by Titan Books
Horror /fiction
For review

37 comments:

  1. Scaryyyyy!! This is perfect for Halloween... I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, this sounds great! Subtle horror is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds cool. The house sounds uber creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would for sure not live there...or go there

      Delete
  4. Now horror with a lowercase h I can handle. Sounds like good autumn read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't the Hollows just sound like a haunted house though? They should have known better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, they should have. Also an author lived there who wrote about ghosts

      Delete
  6. I love that twist in the end! It's you! :) This one sounds like a good one for this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of horror. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but it was not HORROR, just horror

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. No, that it way too American and brutal. This was subtle, the ghosts were even friendly but...things change

      Delete
  9. Oh wow. There are lots of issues in that household. Thanks for sharing about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean by horror but not horror. Some of the good ones are very subtle, but they are good at getting under your skin.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was hard to explain, cos for the first, I do not read horror, but this was not Horror lol

      Delete
  11. I love horror, and I love British novels. So... double win?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to read a book like that from time to time and I'm intrigued by your review now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long time since I read one like this one

      Delete
  13. Now this sounds wonderful. I think I know what you mean about horror but not horror. Wonderful review Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like subtle horrors :). I am so glad you reviewed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like it, but then I am always scared to recommend to you ;)

      Delete
  15. Negative vibes man made the ghostie worse I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh this sounds like a creepy one! I love when the house is up to no good, Amityville style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting family. Never heard of this before and it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP