Saturday 11 October 2014

First Truth and Book Blog Walkers: Weekly Check-in Oct 10 2014

This challenge is organized by Felicia over at the Geeky Blogger's Book Blog

Saturday 5 km bike and 30 min walk
Sunday 1.15 hour walk
Monday 10 km bike and 45 min zumba toning
Tuesday 5 km bike,  30 min walk
Wednesday 5 km bike, and 1 hour zumba
Thursday 5 km bike and 30 min walk
Friday 5 km bike, 1 hour yoga and 30 min walk


Sunday's walk. Found a new path :)



--------------------------------------


Alissa doesn't believe in magic. Her father's stories about the Hold, a legendary fortress where human Keepers learn magic from the enigmatic Maters, are just that―stories. But her mother insists that Alissa has inherited her father's magical ability, and so she must go to the Hold―the only place her talents can be trained. 

On her way, she crosses paths with Strell, a wandering musician from the plains. And though Alissa is not sure she can trust a plainsman, Strell has something she needs―one of her father's old maps. Travelling together, they can reach the Hold before the snow sets in. 

But they don't know that the Hold is nearly empty. Something is very wrong and someone believes that Alissa and Strell knows about a book called First Truth.

My thoughts:
It started fairly good with a young girl going on a journey and meeting a young man. But then it started to draaaaaaag. First, Alissa was TSTL. Whatever, go and get yourself killed then idiot. Strell on the other hand...well ok I liked him.

What went wrong? When they arrived the book got boring and I stopped caring. And honestly I do not have much more to say than that. It got boring, end of story.

This is light fantasy, and then I mean light. And there is NO world building. People live by the sea, in hills or plains and blah blah. And..AND? Ok there is magic, nothing explained there either. I know it's light fantasy but come on, I need a world.

But as I did not DNF (I did skim though), I will still rate it ok. It had promise, it just needed a LOT of work. I would NOT recommend it.

Cover
Nice, but ugh

Paperback, 336 pages
Published May 28th 2002 by Ace Books 

Truth #1

Light Fantasy

Own

24 comments:

  1. Definitely not reading this book, but your walk looks amazing, Linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the yellow trees. We don't see them much in Istanbul because we only get couple of weeks of autumn, not much time for the trees to change.
    I'll skip this book. Thank you for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you don't? What a shame, I do like that part of fall. When they have fallen..well not so much ;) When they are covered in snow again then it's good

      Delete
  3. You have the prettiest views for when you walk! So jealous.

    That book sounds strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the workouts. Love the pictures. Thanks for the honest review of the book, though I won't be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      Yeah, I would not recommend it

      Delete
  5. ROFL --->>"go and get yourself killed then idiot". Maybe if she did die it would've made this story better.

    Where the fluck do you live?! I'm not going to stalk you but your panoramic pics are always breathteaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I do think if that would have happened then the story would totally have improved! The guy would have gone somewhere else and been happy.

      Hehe, well Finland is all about the trees

      Delete
  6. You are doing great with your exercise and I love your pictures! It is really beautiful where you live! I like fantasy so it would bother me too if there was nothing special about the world. I'll make sure to pass on this book. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D

      I could have lived with it, if the story had not been boring too ;)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous walk and love the autumn colours showing up. You get great variety into your exercise. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, that cover and that...hair...

    Nice blogwalker pics though, they're a great set!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know. Have you seen the dress?
      And she works in a kitchen

      Delete
  9. Oh it's sad the cover and the ideas were nice but I think I'll pass

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job this week!
    Ugh...her hair bugs me. I like the cover, but the hair...no.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw man, sorry to hear about the lack of world building

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP