Tuesday 28 October 2014

The Silver Bough - Lisa Tuttle

Nestled on the coast of Scotland, Appleton was once famous for its apples. Now, though the orchards are long gone, locals still dream of the town’s glory days, when an Apple Queen was crowned at the annual fair and good luck seemed a way of life. And outsiders are still drawn to the charming village, including three very different American women.

Enchanted by Appleton’s famously ornate, gold-domed library, divorcée Kathleen Mullaroy has left her cosmopolitan job to start anew as the town’s head librarian. Widowed Nell Westray hopes for a quiet life of gardening in the place where she and her husband spent their happiest moments. And young Ashley Kaldis has come to find her roots, and learns that the town’s fortunes turned when her grandmother was crowned Apple Queen–then mysteriously disappeared.

When a sudden landslide cuts Appleton off from the wider world–and the usual constraints of reality–the village reveals itself to be an extraordinary place, inhabited by legendary beings, secret rooms, and the blossoming of a rare fruit not seen in decades. Most unexpected is a handsome stranger who will draw all three women into an Otherworld in which luck and love will return to Appleton–if only one of them will believe. 

My thoughts:
I really like her style. It's so fairy'tale, but at the same time it fiction. It makes me believe.

This is the story of Appelton. Once it was a nice little town with orchards, now people are leaving. All because of the last Apple Queen and the bad luck that followed.

Our 3 heroines are: Kathleen, a librarian. Nell, who has a few apple trees. And Ashley who wants to know why her grandma left so suddenly and never came back there. They are all different, they are all skeptics, they are all outsiders and they will all meet a handsome stranger.

Because here it is where the magic comes in. There really is something special about this not so much an island anymore. There really are things hiding, and not shown. There really is bad luck over the island, and all cos of an apple. And as the story progresses, more things are shown, you can be a skeptic first, but then you see.

Conclusion:
Tuttle really needs to write more mythic books about Scotland. I like it. I like how it makes me want to believe that there still can be traces of magic, and other beings around :)

Cover
Nice

Paperback, 457 pages
Published March 1st 2013 by Jo Fletcher (first published January 1st 2006)
Fiction / Fairy-tale
Own

31 comments:

  1. THis sounds like a lovely book, it reminds me a bit of Sarah Addison Allen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, no, that is magical realism, this is something else. This is fairytales come to life, and not always with happy endings

      Delete
  2. Lisa Tuttle is an author I've always wanted to read. Maybe next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I would not call it that, because well here there are beings, it's more paranormal in that aspect

      Delete
  4. This sounds great! Also, what a lovely cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds pretty neat! I love when the magic is believable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can believe that in some forgotten part of Scotland magic still lives

      Delete
  6. Oh it looks nice, I love the sound of it! I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scotland, magic, what could go wrong? And yet those handsome strangers make me antsy...can't a heroine meet an ugly hunchback with warts for a change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple books out there were the guy isn't "handsome" by normal standards.

      Delete
  8. Great review. I think I would like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had my eye on this one for a while:) Sounds like one I would love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it, I so enjoy her strange stories

      Delete
  10. Scotland and magic you say? Count me in:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OoooOOOOoooo sounds good. What can go wrong? Magic and Scotland. Like two peas in a pod.

    BTW I am finally doing that challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scotland and magic? Yes please! This sounds cool, and I love librarian heroines!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm curious about what's going on there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like books that make me believe magic could be real. I hope this has more than just magical realism in it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's not magical realism, I love those books, but this book kicks the real deal

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP