Wednesday 8 October 2014

Fool's Gold - Zana Bell

It’s 1866 and the gold rush is on. Left to fend for herself in the wilds of New Zealand’s west coast, Lady Guinevere Stanhope is determined to do whatever it takes to rescue her ancestral home and restore her father’s good name.

Forced out of his native Ireland, Fergus O’Donnell dreams of striking gold. His fiercely held prejudices make him loath to help any English person, let alone a lady as haughty and obstinate as Guinevere. But when a flash flood hits, Fergus is compelled to rescue her, and pass. But and their paths become entwined in this uncharted new world.

Though an intense attraction forms between them, both remain single-minded in pursuit of their dreams. Will they realize in time that all that glitters in not gold?

My thoughts:
First, look at that cover! Pretty!

Ok the book then ;) Again, first, yay New Zealand. Why is this a yay? Well honestly cos the last book I read that took place there was also written by Bell, and before that *crickets* Nothing. I love something new, a new setting, something I am not familiar with. The time also helped, since historical NZ sure is different.

But to the book then, we have Lady Gwen, stubborn, a bit reckless, but determined and wont let anyone put her down. She is not afraid to get her hands dirty either. She is not your typical lady either, she grew up around artists and had more freedom.

Then there is Quinn, a doctor, who fled Ireland, he hates the English. He has issues from the war, and the last thing he needs is a stubborn woman.

Now this is not a romance. Yes there is romance, but it's, see I always have this issue. It's not his fic, and not his rom. It's between the two. It's how they meet, become friendly (not too friendly!). Go separate ways, she learns to stand on her own, builds a life. And cos it's a middle thing, then yes at the end we all know they will live happily ever after. But as for romance, nah, no real romance. You need to learn what you want for yourself before you love someone else.

Conclusion:
A bit of hardship, a sprinkle of romance, lovely characters and one woman's road to independence. 

Cover
pretty

Paperback, 320 pages
Published October 7th 2014 by Choc Lit
Romantic historical fiction
For review

29 comments:

  1. I love when a character learns to live on their own - in theory - but I'm a sucker for the romance too lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In theory ;) But yes that is the case, and I am always happy for some love too

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of this one. I think the romance (if their was one) would sound contrived otherwise. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is lovely. I'm so jealous of her hair! Sounds like a nice read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. But why is the front part of her hair cut off on the cover?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is most definitely a gorgeous cover. I like the premise, too! You know they're going to fall madly in love but they'll be kicking and fighting all the way to the HEA :)
    Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, I had a phase where I so so wanted to move to NZ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good and yeah I love the setting and era!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too like the setting and I like the main character too. Sounds feisty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really good. But yes there is a need of more Aussie and NZ books. Thats why I do like this website. They have a few a books listed for everywhere http://www.likesbooks.com/set.html#australia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I don't think I've read a book set in New Zealand, but it's nice and you're right, I also love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear this isn't all about the romance, and that she learns to stand on her own. And wow that is a lovely cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pretty :)
      And I did like that it was made this way

      Delete
  12. I agree with you, that's a pretty cover. I also liked the setting. I'm tired of reading same settings all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. setting, premise, era, cover ... works for me. I want :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP