Sunday 25 January 2015

Carole's Sunday: Stardust - Neil Gaiman

Author: Neil Gaiman
Title: Stardust 
Genre: Fantasy, Fiction, & YA
Pages: ebook
First Published: 1998
Where I Got It: My shelf (Borrowed from library)

"In the sleepy English countryside of decades past, there is a town that has stood on a jut of granite for six hundred years. And immediately to the east stands a high stone wall, for which the village is named. Here in the town of Wall, Tristran Thorn has lost his heart to the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester. One crisp October night, as they watch, a star falls from the sky, and Victoria promises to marry Tristran if he'll retrieve that star and bring it back for her. It is this promise that sends Tristran through the only gap in the wall, across the meadow, and into the most unforgettable adventure of his life."

I've honestly never heard of this book until it was picked for the Book Club. I was a little weary about reading this, but it certainly was an adventure and I nice add to our book list for the book club. I can't wait to discuss it. 

Ooooooooooooooooo! Victoria you dumb, dumb, witch. Poor Tristran...instead of being honest saying she didn't "love" him like he did her, she sends him out on a simple little errand to go to the magic land and get the falling star and then MAYBE she'll kiss him and if he is lucky she might consider marriage. >________< Gah. 

So yes, the beginning was rough for me for that reason and that is was slow and there were a lot of character introductions. There are a lot of people who want that damn star! Things got better when Tristran did manage to find the star - which made the book much more interesting. It was a twist and I liked it. I can't say what happens when he finds the star, but it was good. 

I loved the including of fairytales and fables! It was a nice! Especially the lion vs the unicorn for the crown. That was my favorite little bit - the unicorn was my favorite!

The only thing I did not like at all in this book was the random parts with lots of violence and/or non YA words/scenes. I'm mostly referring to the death of a character (that I liked - of course) that was brutally murdered. Okay...I think what bugged me was that it was an animal. I felt that these scenes took away the "fantastical" feel of the book. It just stuck out like a red thumb and it wasn't needed.

Overall, this was a fun adventure. I honestly would have never picked up this book on my own, so I am grateful for the book club introducing this to me. There were a few scenes I didn't like because 1) it took away the "fantastical" feel of the book and 2) it bugged me. The beginning was slow, but it got a lot better. I would highly recommend this to those that like fantasy-type books. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 3 stars (it was going to be 3.5 - so a rounded 4 - but the animal murder took away a .5).  

Favorite Character(s): Tristran (even tho he was blinded by the love he had for Victoria), the star (sassy!), and Trsitran's mom

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Victoria and the witch (>_____>) 



22 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Neil Gaiman's work and haven't read this one yet, thanks for the review and the warning about the violence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read this and one of his graphic novels. :) He is good.

      Delete
  2. This one is new to me..and oh yes sad about the animal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't fault you for so disliking the animal murder!
    I did like Stardust and Gaiman is an author that I really like but he certainly has a very dark side and I haven't enjoyed all of his shorter stories for that reason!
    I loved Neverwhere though and The Graveyard Book.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I don't mind dark sides...it depends on what happens. Like animal murder (if they are innocent) always is a negative for me.

      Delete
  4. I read this one a while ago and I enjoyed it.
    p.s. Blod, I'm slowly getting back into blogging. Missed your blog!
    https://bookwormnai.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carole! That reminds me, need to send you something for tomorrow...must think

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so much about this author and really want to try his books. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely agree that this was such a fun adventure and I really enjoyed the film adaptation as well. Thanks for sharing, Carole! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just watched the movie! Thursday I will have a review for it. :D

      Delete
  8. It sounds like the book has some interesting differences from the movie...I love the movie. A unicorn you say!? I absolutely must read the book someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure I can handle a brutal character death, particularly if it's an animal. Those always hit me harder than the death of a human character! *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Me too! Besides for that, the rest of the book was good.

      Delete
  10. I love, love, love this book so much, and the movie isn't half bad either. Both re unique in their own way and their difference make them both great additions for fans of Gaiman like I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I watched the movie. :) Everyone talks about it but I haven't read the book. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this book a while ago. One of those rare occasions where the movie is just as good as the book even though they're quite different. I think the strange violent scenes were thrown in for humor...

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP