Monday 19 January 2015

God save the queen - Kate Locke

The Year is 2012—and Queen Victoria still rules with an immortal fist.

She's the undead matriarch of a Britain, where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground, and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where technology lives side by side with magic, where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath) and Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day.

Xandra Vardan is a member of the elite Royal Guard, and it's her duty to protect the Aristocracy. But things get complicated when her sister goes missing. Xandra will not only realise she's the prize in a dangerous power struggle—but she'll also uncover a conspiracy that threatens to topple the empire itself. 

My thoughts:
Omg yes! *fistpump

I have for weeks been reading bad books, ok books, and good books (which is good, but you know...) I have been missing awesome and finally! I started reading it, and I never put it down. Well ok once for that obligatory tweet about how I am reading an awesome book.

It had everything I wanted. Cool heroine, action, danger and omg awesome world! The plague made aristocrats into vamps and weres and goblins. Now the nobility rule England and Queen Victoria is a vamp. Humans hate them though. A world of old world dress code, manners, and new tech. A strange steampunk mix cos hello Victoria is still queen after all.

Alexandra, our heroine, is a half blood and a member of the guard. She was pretty kick-ass.

The story goes like this. Her sister is missing. What is going on? Oh oh conspiracy? Oh oh sexy guy? Oh oh twist!! Loved that twist. Damn happy I have book 2 *fistpump.

So yes of course I would recommend this. Danger, suspense, awesome world, and even a hot guy. Hello, what is there not to like?!

Conclusion;
Very happy with this book. 

Cover
cool

Paperback, UK Edition, 354 pages
Published July 5th 2012 by Orbit
The Immortal Empire #1
Urban fantasy
Own

44 comments:

  1. This....actually....sounds....awesome. MUST READ! I am not much into steampunk (as you know), but I wanna read this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't really call it steampunk when it takes place in 2012 and they got cellphones

      Delete
  2. Me likely. I'll take a look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing this series forever, and the enthusiasm in your review in infectious. SOLD!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. *high fives* Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I have always been curious about this series! Never read Kate Locke, but her books sound very interesting.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also realised that she has a lot of pen names ;)

      Delete
  6. Yeah fist pump back. I am glad you found something to pull you out of your slump. I have been eyeing this series myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if this is for me but yet that you loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may have convinced me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did the weekend go?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I want to read this one. So glad you enjoyed it. Must push it higher up the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soooo happy you enjoyed this one. I really liked it too. Loved the twist to what the author has created here with the beings. And the story is awesome. And we can't forget the characters. I totally need to get book 2 now that I'm thinking about it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already read it ;D Look for a review on Wednesday

      Delete
  12. I like the enthusiasm of your review though definitely not my genre!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One day I did start this book but after 2 pages I had to put it down for another one and I finally didn't take it back but I should! It sounds perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you try again and fingers crossed you will like it

      Delete
  14. It's not really steampunk ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. After that review I HAVE TO read this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, nice! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. The world sounds pretty fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this book too, as you said it it has all - romance, action, kick-ass heroine. Book #2 is also very good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES! loved this series! Wish I could find one that would bump me out of my slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fingers crossed* I hope you find that special book

      Delete
  19. Congrats on finding a great book! This does sound like an interesting hodge podge. I'm always hesitant about steampunk books, but I might have to make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not really steampunk, more like this time a bit steampunky

      Delete
  20. It does sound awesome. Queen Victoria, a vampire in 2012!?! That's cool. Has Victoria been mourning her dear Prince Albert all that time?

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP