Wednesday 7 January 2015

River Road - Suzanne Johnson

Hurricane Katrina is long gone, but the preternatural storm rages on in New Orleans. New species from the Beyond moved into Louisiana after the hurricane destroyed the borders between worlds, and it falls to wizard sentinel Drusilla Jaco and her partner, Alex Warin, to keep the preternaturals peaceful and the humans unaware. But a war is brewing between two clans of Cajun merpeople in Plaquemines Parish, and down in the swamp, DJ learns, there’s more stirring than angry mermen and the threat of a were-gator.


Wizards are dying, and something—or someone—from the Beyond is poisoning the waters of the mighty Mississippi, threatening the humans who live and work along the river. DJ and Alex must figure out what unearthly source is contaminating the water and who—or what—is killing the wizards. Is it a malcontented merman, the naughty nymph, or some other critter altogether? After all, DJ’s undead suitor, the pirate Jean Lafitte, knows his way around a body or two.

It’s anything but smooth sailing on the bayou as the Sentinels of New Orleans series continues. 

My thoughts:
I am a bit torn. It was a good book, but, here comes the but. I do not really feel like reading more. Let me try to tell you why.

There are worse books in a series that I have continued. Cos I am stupid. And this book was good, but still at times it went down to just ok, and I felt it dragged somewhat. I would not buy it at a time like this because I follow sooo many series, sooo many! And there are so many more I want to follow and sometimes I just feel all meh. But if the library had it I would borrow it at once. So conclusion is, if I have read all the other books I want, maybe I can move on to book 3.

Drusilla is cool.....
But omg how many guys does she have after her? First there is Alex, then there is his cousin, then there is the pirate of course, then there was this merman, I mean come on. I can take a triangle if done right. But here is just feels like man after man is thrown after her.

I should stop writing, it feels the more I write, the more I want to change the good to ok...hm....that does not sound promising...

cover
Good

Paperback, 387 pages
Published November 22nd 2012 by Headline
Sentinels of New Orleans #2
Urban fantasy
Own

48 comments:

  1. I know how you feel dude...I've read the first or first couple of books in a series and stopped, because it was too good to keep going. A strange complex there, but sometimes it happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens, oh well, I got plenty more books to read

      Delete
  2. That is too bad, I really enjoy this series but if you don't feel it I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed book 1 but here it just fizzled out

      Delete
  3. Ha! I've let a lot of series go recently for the same reasons. If you're not feeling it why keep going. There are so many more books out there.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to learn to let to

      LET IT GOOOOOOOO

      Delete
  4. I get exactly what you are saying. Sometimes there really isn't anything wrong with a series or book, but you just don't click with it. It could be if you read it in another date and time you would have enjoyed it more, but it is what it is. Don't feel bad and move on.

    PS - I really enjoy this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked book 1, and I did like this one. But something was off. Like you say it could be the day, it could be anything. Moving on.

      ;)

      Delete
  5. I hope you get this series at the library, it is one I really enjoy, but I know how you feel about starting new series. I abandon so many series it is ridiculous. I am looking forward to book four in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i do hope yopu get to read book 3 because it was really REALLY good! more urban fantasy more suspense and some great twist.

    also^^ rene isn't interested in her you know he is just playing

    i really hope you give this series another chance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment I just do not know.. :(

      Still so many guys!

      We will see, it's just not a top prioritary at the moment

      Delete
  7. Yuck, I hate it when the girl gets tons of guy attention. One, great. Two, fine. But when the love interests get piled up it just becomes ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay you have me totally curious about this one. I have to know if I will click with it or feel the same way you did! Sneaky! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I'm just curious about these but I'm resisting. I've actually listed series I need to finish and I'll cross it off after finishing it. Ah the feeling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cover definitely looks swampy. Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good so that is to bad that you didn't like it well enough to go on. I have the first two books in the series and now I am not sure about them..lol.

    Stormi
    BMReviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 1 was really good, so you have that going for you

      Delete
  12. I want to try this series. Sounds like it's ready to end though. I do enjoy that cover. :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was this the first one? I liked it but, yeah, too many guys hot after her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol. You're too funny! I find that as soon as I start typing, I either fan the flame of hate, or snooze myself to oblivion. So yeah, I hear ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you say. I really liked first book, I liked this one just ok, and third book... wasn't my favorite. So I understand if you don't want to follow with this series. Still, I'm planning to read book 4... I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, that sounds exactly like me! I am so not reading book 3 now

      Delete
  16. It's a shame that these weren't your favourite, hun! I totally understand what you mean.

    Lovely review nonetheless! <33

    ReplyDelete
  17. I live reading your reviews and I so know how you feel about continuing with a book you're not in love with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just do not feel it, and if you do not feel it, let it go

      Delete
  18. I completely understand this feeling! It wasn't a bad book, but you want something that's really going to blow you away. There are so many books to choose from, it's hard to continue with a series that was just okay:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, I know that feeling all too well, and it's even worse when you have high expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do love this series, and eagerly await the next book. But yes, there are a lot of guys, although the mereman truly is just a friend. One goes, and another comes whom I truly hate. So, action enough in the next ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that in the end, but still, could he not just have been a friend, no flirting

      Delete
  21. Yes, I know the feeling of not being inspired to continue a series. I'm curious about those mermen though...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like something I would get a laugh out of at least. I mean how many men can she possibly have after her? Sounds ridiculous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I understand what you mean. Sometimes though a book wasn't bad I have no desire to continue and other times when it is just okay I have to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, I can't explain it but at least you know what I mean :)

      Delete
  24. You know, I actually liked this one. It was book 3 that left me feeling kind of MEH. Don't know what that means for you, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP