Tuesday 27 January 2015

The prodigal mage - Karen Miller

Many years have passed since the last Mage War. It has been a time of great change. But not all changes are for the best, and Asher's world is in peril once more.

The weather magic that keeps Lur safe is failing. Among the sorcerers, only Asher has the skill to mend the antique weather map that governs the seasons, keeping the land from being crushed by natural forces. Yet, when Asher risks his life to meddle with these dangerous magic, the crisis is merely delayed, not averted.

Asher's son Rafel inherited his father's talents, but he has been forbidden to use them. With Lur facing devastation, however, he may be its only hope. 

My thoughts:
I would not say that this series can be read just like this. You will not get the entire back story. Sure you could enjoy it, but you really should read the series that takes place 10 years before. And the prequel that explains why all these people are in trouble anyway.

But anyway this book; 10 years ago they saved Lur and got rid of Morg. The Olken and Doranen are now equals (before the Doranen were the Lords and if the Olken used magic they got killed.) Asher the hero from the previous series is married with 2 kids. He is a stubborn mule as always. The Olken and Doranen still bicker and are idiots. The country is not saved after all and after 600 years of magic hitting it the world is falling apart.

That is our story. Can Lur be saved? Is the rest of the world dead? Will anyone be left standing, cos honestly this world is going to hell. Some people just should not be allowed to have magic.

People argue, whine and are idiots. Still it's nice old school fantasy. I do wonder how it will play out.

But yes, I do think the books should be read in order. 

Cover
Good

Paperback, 631 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Orbit
The Fisherman's Children #1
Fantasy
Own

35 comments:

  1. Whew. 631 pages? That's an impressively sized book! Glad you enjoyed it overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about Miller. Good to know that the books don't have to be read in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh. It sounds good, but I think I shall skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh, so there is a series connected to this one that should be read before? And a prequel. That's a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a massive read, I am glad that you liked it despite the whining and acting like idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen her books at the store but I have to keep in mind that they are connected. In case I end up buying something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do keep that in mind cos there is lots that you are missing if you start with this one

      Delete
  7. If only I have time to read books like this! I need at least 3 days to a week to read epic fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I save them for weekends when I can read for hours

      Delete
  8. I have so many Karen Miller books I want to read. This one hasn't been on my radar though, but probably because I have Innocent Mage on my list instead (I assume that's the series you're talking about that takes place 10 years before)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the one, and should be read before. Because now when I have thought about it, it would be hard to see why Asher is such an ahole in this one at times ;)

      Delete
  9. Not an author I was in all that much of a hurry to try again. Empress...not impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that one cos it was, well honestly weird

      Delete
  10. That is a LOT of book! Yay for enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have first book of the other series, but I haven't read it. Too many books, too little time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good old school fantasy but it looks like I should read the other books and the prequel first. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think so, sure it could work but that is a lot one is missing

      Delete
  13. I love old school fantasies! Alas, I haven't read the rest of the series and my TBR pile is already threatening to topple over and bury me alive! On the other hand, your review did make it appealing... Hm, decisions, decisions... :D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I know that feeling. I want more books, I have too many

      Delete
  14. Yea, most fantasy needs to be read in order. I've been curious about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The name of the author does ring a bell but I don't know why...

    ReplyDelete
  16. So it is connected to the previous series. I was wondering if one should read previous books or not. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP